Known issues with the new site

The Kickstarter page says:

Rewriting of all existing topic links to their new locations (making sure all existing links to BlenderArtists keep working).

This is exactly what we’ve done.

So why are links to individual post’s not working ?

(what I specifically asked about during the crowdsourcing campaign)

To me the new forum looks prettier. But it is much harder to find the information I actually want. Feels to me like it was optimized for mobile devices which is, in my opinion, the worst possible approach since this foum is about a desktop application, meaning for people that actually sit in front of a PC.

Is there a way to stay logged in?

You’ll automatically stay logged in for 60 days.

This helps on firefox but not on opera. But then opera is even dumber of a browser than firefox(and there is no perfect browser). Can’t easily clear cache for a specific site/domain in opera. You can in firefox, though.

Probably been discussed before, apologize for not diving into long discussions, but few observations:
a) 20 posts on first page have been posted/updated in less than 1 hour. Information gets burried too fast. Perhaps scrolling down the page would unhide more recent posts or user could filter preferred forums.
b) Please fix dead links from google. There’s just too much invaluable information (in particular by devs, python scripters). It should not get lost as it seriously hinders learning. Example: https://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-293421.html

I don’t know if someone is experiencing the same or it has already been noticed…
When I enter the site or when I scroll up to the top, the space new the BA icon is empty:

Well, it’s a bit solitary as a welcome, let’s give it its name, will we?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: or at least some smiles…

Hi @cgstrive.

Regarding a) Scrolling down should reveal more threads in org/latest (press G then L) and elsewhere. You can also filter out undesired threads by Categories and or Sub Forum, refer to Getting Started with Discourse

About b) They’re working on it. Is this Modifier option window in Blender Python your linked thread?

Thank you for the help.

Another issue I have. Every time I try to hop onto the forum I get a “Content error” message that goes away when I refresh the page. It might be something that will get sorted out soon but I thought I’d report it anyway.

No probs. I don’t get this akaik on FF. What’s your browser? Have you cleared the cache? Ctrl Shift Del invokes the dialogue usually.

I don’t. I need to sign in again about every 10 minutes…

That doesn’t sound right. Do you have a cookie blocker or other plugins that might cause this? Did you try on another browser or in a private window? It might also help to clear your cookies and cache.

Just noticed, whenever I visit the forums I seem to be logged off but once I hit reload I am logged in again.

1 Like

I also use FireFox and clearing the cache does not help. Every time I open my browser (where Blenderartists.org is pinned) I get the following error

Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://blenderartists.org/ has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Until I refresh the page, then it works normally.

Which Firefox version are you on? Does it also happen when you disable all your browser plugins?

In firefox there are 3 ways to refresh/reload a page:

• Normal Reload
  • Hard Reload
  • Empty cache & hard reload.

Can’t remember off the top of my head what the shortcuts for this are, but I use an extension in ff 57 that adds back the reload button to the address bar and on right-click I get a menu with all 3 options.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloader/

2 posts were split to a new topic: Old links to individual posts don’t resolve

Standard reload I just do via right click> reload (from the context menu). I find this faster and easier than messing around with reload buttons in the top menu bar (I never even use those).

Ctrl+F5 is hard reload on any Windows box, with any browser. It will work for edits to cached files like CSS. This will cover most situations, and is as fast and easy as any other sort of reload.

I don’t know if there is a shortcut to clear cache, but I’ve never used one. When necessary, I’ve always done it through browser preferences (Preferences>Advanced>Network).

And of course if you have Web Developer or similar installed you can temporarily disable cache for quicker and easier testing.

Can I make an enhancement suggestion for the new site here or is there a thread for it? I looked around but didn’t see one.

A separate thread please - that’s easier to manage.