Known issues with the new site

Actually I just realised you can change all the texts from within the admin. That said, I still don’t want to remove the word ‘Latest’ - I strongly favour renaming the ‘Latest News’ category.

On mobile, it’s not obvious how to jump to the last post of a thread. The only way I’ve found is to find out the number of posts, click “jump to” and manually type the number. Either a “jump to end” button or reverse chronological order filter would make sense.

Tap the blue navigator at the bottom of your screen:

Okay, I see, I have to use the scroll bar in there. Yeah, not very intuitive.

Like I’ve mentioned in other threads, I think some category consolidation is in order, but I’m not sure if it’s best to do this now or wait for the dust to settle a bit from the migration. My inclination is to the latter of the two… though there is some appeal to the “tear off the band-aid as fast as possible” approach.

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed a miss in the migration which I find pretty major : it seems all the [SOLVED] tags that were attributed to threads from the old website have been lost. Can you confirm that ?

Yes, tags were not migrated.

:disappointed_relieved: all those solved problems that helped us quickly find solutions are now more hidden.

is there no way to script something out ?
Like :

if VBulletin thread is marked as Solved
then tag the first (or last)  post as Solution in the Discourse topic

in whatever language you use

As a side note, the new forum looks awesome on a Galaxy S9+

1 Like

There is always a way :slight_smile: But for now, this wasn’t scoped in the migration project. We’ll keep the data and perhaps at a later date we can figure out how to do this. At this moment, the focus is on completing the missing data first.

1 Like

Had an idea. Editing language files (“fake translation”) is ruled out due to the same text string being used in several places. However, if I’m not mistaken BA only does the interface in English (ie: no selectable language options for users). I’ve never been able to find any language options in my profile anyway.

Assuming it’s English-only, meaning word size won’t change according to user, there’s a possible workaround with pseudo elements. A ::before pseudo can be absolute positioned at the beginning of any element, with background and font matching the element itself. This could be used to cover the default “Latest” with any desired text. It may also require some tweaking of paddings or margins if the desired word is noticeably longer or shorter, but in principle it’s simple to do with any element that begins with “Latest”, and it would look seamless if done correctly.

Obviously you can also use an ::after pseudo to add custom text content after any default heading.

Is any of the features in new forum behaving like the “signature” in the old forum?. I think I’m having problems with my bad English, and my old signature warned about it :writing_hand:

Are you looking for this ?

Apparently the message does not appear under each post in a thread, but anyway I’ll try it.
Thank you.

As Bart says in the topic I linked, we now use cards instead of signatures.
Perhaps I should’ve shown you this instead.

1 Like

Yes, I was referring to it. A user has to “take an action” to see it:

Before the signature appeared below each post, so the user only had to be logged in to see it without having to click anywhere.

By the way, thanks for the tip about how to delete the message in the other thread :slight_smile:

and I much prefer this new feature. It keeps the conversation clean and free of unrelated stuff while providing a quick way to see really who you’re talking to, with even more information than just a signature.

Maybe. Anyway, I think that in the old forum you were able to configure in your profile to not see the signatures of others.

But there is no problem anyway, it’s ok.

Thks Guys now i love the new blender artists !!!

Fred/K.S

1 Like

Haven’t seen anyone mention this. Embedded YouTube videos buffer forever. Clicking the YT logo to open in YouTube and they play just fine. It’s only whilst watching them as embedded there’s an issue.

Embedded Vimeo seems to work.

Arch Linux and FF.