Krita 2.8 is out!!!

Great tip !
It is in fact MUCH smoother with openGL ticked. Thanks !

I have tried it with and without OpenGL.
It is very slow when using tools.
When I draw a stroke the stroke trails a second or so behind the mouse cursor.
I really like all the options in krita and it seems to be going somewhere but it is not usable for me yet with the slow tool responses.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes. Really wanted to give this app a go, but response is so slow it’s practically unusable. So far I stay with SAI and GIMP.

This is great. I’m so happy. Before it had such bad hesitation in windows I could not adjust the brush settings. Works like a charm now.
My brushe strokes keep up. the Multi brush is the only show one so far.

It’s really strange, but the Krita team has been receiving multiple vague comments like this, but because noone reports the bug or posts their specs there’s no indicating what may cause that…

So… OS, Graphics card, version of OpenGL? :stuck_out_tongue:
(the maintainer has a BA account, and if he doesn’t spot it, I’ll be throwing it in the bugtracker anyhow.)

this has already been solved ,I think

At least on linux,the problem was found,not sure bout windows

Made the change from MyPaint, much more useful tools. Very happy to see a Windows version. :spin:

It is 100% smooth and immediate on my system (win 7 64, on an old Q6600 processor). I use an nVidia card (570) and have installed the software on another partition than the OS.

Well thats true. I could also do it my self though… :slight_smile: Its an older system bought 4-5 years ago.

Windows 7 Home Prem. SP1 x64
On a Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Driver 8.632.1.2000
OpenGL 3.2

Before or after the release?

Yikes, the HD 4500 was a low level graphics chip even in 2009… I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the underlying cause. It does not help that vendors like AMD and Nvidia do not spend too much time on optimizing opengl/3d performance for those older low grade video chips.

Krita runs butter smooth on my system - and I am drawing on A4@600ppi and 16bpc. Then again, I guess I have a nice powerhouse of a video card.

Nor is that CPU very fast either. How much memory do you have installed?

Windows 7 64bit - AMD FX 6100 - GT 530: I was pleased to find out of the box Krita 2.8 is ahead of my mouse. Honestly it couldn’t be any faster without being autonomous. Now to get a tablet.

P4 3.2, 4Gb, GTS 450, Win7 here.

On this same ancient hardware Sai performs blazing fast (instant) on very high resolutions, while Krita is unbelievably sluggish even on 1080p canvas. GIMP performs very well too.

its pretty smooth here, really enjoy this software, when I increase brush size I do get some lag, but I get this on photoshop too depending on how much information is stored on the brush.

Yeah it might be :slight_smile: Yet I am able to use Gimp, Mypaint, Al.chemy even blenders painting tools very smooth… Maybe my system is doing very poorly, but I think it possible for the krita team to solve it. A second of lag is quite a lot… Even on an old systems like mine.

The question is if it is worth it or people like me are forced to get new systems before the dev teams can get it fully solved. Then it would just be a waste of time. I will get a new system within the year I believe.

Btw I got 4Gb ram.

Krita’s release-scedule is somewhere between 6 to 8 months, however, there’s always unstable windows builds being made in between for testing. If such a build shows up I’ll PM you :slight_smile:

I’ve only had the chance to try it on one computer so far and am finding little quirks and slow downs, but not sure yet if they are related to my tablet. Slow to open, large brushes badly lag, have had a few freezes when switching between layers and once opening a jpg showed only a black screen. Going to try it at home next week, but it is better than my last tryout.

After, since it’s a current problem. But windows packages usually get updated once every week,I think. Still I think work to solve the windows bug needs to be done over the next few days.

@ yes,for the moment krita is rather Ram/power hungry. 4GB is not enough for very big files or brushes.

Good Stuff. When are we getting mypaint 1.1 though…

Mypaint 1.1 isn’t until the tablet bug is fixed. Check this unstable: http://opensourcepack.blogspot.fr/2013/01/mypaint-and-pygi.html

Me toooo! I badly want this for MAC.