Lamborghini Gallardo

I’m using 2.46 too. It just seems strange to me that you get such a huge difference between approximate AO and raytraced AO. I deleted all my light sources and re-ran my Antonov render using your raytrace settings and it took 3 minutes 40 seconds, versus 22 seconds for approximate AO, with 450,000 faces in the scene. I used OSA 5 for both renders.

Edit: Unless it’s just my PC is fast, but I didn’t think it was that good. Athlon 5000+ dual core, 4GB RAM running Ubuntu 64bit.

Edit again: But this is all a side issue, I like what you’ve done so far!

blendhead: On a scale of 1-10, what you you rate me on modeling? And that’s funny, you have the same CPU as me! I have an Althon X2 5000+ dual core! But only 2 GB of ram. Is Ubuntu a platform like Windows? I’ve heard of it, I think… Can you post some screenshots? I’ve never seen a computer running on Ubuntu. My Lambo has only 16,487 verticies with a level 2 subsurf (the level I render with). The Lambo’s base mesh has 1,219 verts (without subsurf).

kbot: The render time with the grills varies between a half hour, and an hour and a half, depending on the angle and wether it has the grills visible or not. I’ll post the rendertime without the grills when it finishes rendering. Thanks for the compliment!

Can anyone guess how long I’ve been using Blender? I became a member at BlenderArtists long after I learned about Blender.

I can’t give you a score, but I can tell you what I like about your Lambo so far. I like that you’ve kept your geometry clean and that your’re letting sub-surf do the work. I also like to see people use geometry for details wherever it’s possible/sensible, as in your grille - it makes clay renders look far more impressive, and the finished product more authentic. And I like the fact that your car looks like what it’s supposed to be a model of!

I couldn’t even try to guess how long you’ve been using Blender. I’ve been at it for 10 weeks now with no prior 3D experience, but I’ve had a lot of spare time lately since work has been slow due to the end of financial year that’s just passed here in Australia. I’m a contract programmer by trade.

Ubuntu is a free operating system, like Windows, but not compatible with it. I switched nearly three years ago because Ubuntu is free, it comes with a huge amount of free software, and there’s no viruses, hence no virus checker, which means there’s less processes eating cycles in the background. I know that some other forum members have found that Blender generally renders quite a lot faster and uses less memory under Linux than Windows on the same hardware, but I haven’t tested this myself.

I have to doubt that simply running Windows could explain the massive slowdown you are seeing though. Maybe some setting in Blender has been turned on that is blowing out the rendering time? If you want to provide a copy of your model, I can try rendering it to see how long it takes.

If you wanted to try Ubuntu then there are three ways to do it:

1. Llive CD, which doesn’t install the OS, instead just boots the computer off of the CD, so that when the PC is turned off Ubuntu is gone.
  2. Wubi, which installs Ubuntu as a file on the Windows hard drive and allows you to boot into Ubuntu.or Windows when you turn the computer on.
  3. Dual boot, which repartitions your HDD so that Windows and Ubuntu have their own sections.

If you want to have a look at it, then use a live CD and make sure you don’t click install. This would also allow you to check that your hardware is compatible. Linux is notorious for problems with ATI video cards for instance, since ATI, up until recently, had poor Linux support. If your hardware turns out to be OK, use Wubi to see how you like using it for Blender.

Be warned that there will be a learning curve. Ubuntu isn’t Windows, and it’s not trying to copy the way Windows does everything. so you would need to devote some time to familiarising yourself with it. Also, backup any files you can’t afford to lose in case something goes wrong!

So, if Windows was a high end 3D CG program, like Maya, then Ubuntu would be like Blender? But unfortunatly, I have WAY to many files to backup:

The picure above is the actual amount of files, folders, and memory my user has. That was about half or one-third the total memory used on my hard drive! I would actually need a 300 GB external hard drive to backup every file on my computer’s hard drive.

I’ve been using Blender for two years, and I started with the 2.42 Orange release.

You could put it that way. Both Blender and Ubuntu are open source, meaning you can use them for free and have access to the source code, while Windows and Maya you cannot.

You really should consider investing in a backup solution, I’ve had hard drives fail on me in the past and it’s not fun. In Australia at least, a do-it-yourself 320GB HDD + a USB enclosure would start at around AUD$80 (which is reasonably cheap here, though it may be expensive depending on where you are). I have a DNS-323 network server for backups of my home folder every couple of days, though I only backup the sections that can’t be replaced, ie. my Blender folder, my email, things like that.

I’m two years younger than Fishcake, so I don’t think I will be able to afford a backup hard drive any time soon…
Anyway, here’s an update:

It’s grainy becuase I lowered the AO samples to make this a quick update.

(For some strange reason, the usual 800*600 resolution render exeeded the memory limit for .jpg files)

Well, at least burn a DVD of your best work every now and then…

JPG compression wouldn’t work as well with an image that is full of noise.

Anyhow, back to blending!

Luckily, I have a 15 pack of 4.7 GB re-writable DVD’s! I’m working on my Lambo right now! This is almost like a chat room right now, we’re making posts so quickly. It’s late at night for me, 25 minutes until midnight. This is an out-of-nowhere question, but do you know any blender-heads in person? Just wondering.

I’ve been making a lot of posts today. I’m beating my previous record for “Posts per day”. I can’t believe I’ve used Blender for two years without registering for BlenderArtists… I feel like I’m releasing my true inner blender-er… LOL I think it might be my tiredness that’s making me post odd things. It’s almost midnight, so… I’m tired right now.

No, I don’t know any users in person. I’d never even seen it until a couple of months ago, and I just tried it out because I was bored one afternoon.

It’s 4:15 in the afternoon here, and I’m home with a cold.

This is going to look cool. But why are so many people modeling Gallardo’s, probably because it just looks good.

An update is rendering! With all the speed of continental drift!

From one of those “people modeling a gallardo” the answer so mainly it’s easy and looks good. BTW, Nice progress YellowLambo.

Thanks Nitronic755 (I hope you wouldn’t mind being called Nitronic for short).

And why the the number 755? Just wondering. The render’s about half way done now.

The first time I registered with Nitronic (I think it was for Yahoo Mail) it was taken, so I added the 755. I’ve used it ever since for consistency, and as yet haven’t found a good enough replacement for it to be worth changing my email, chat accounts and bugging mods about changing forum nicknames :wink:

The render finished… I didn’t get what I expected. I added the windows and it all of a sudden looks a little distorted near the windows : (
I thought it would look a little more realistic. But that’s why this is in the WIP section, right?

I need to work on it… And if I’m right, I think the next post I make will be my grand 100th post (I’ll try and make it look nice).

Edit: I guess this was my 100th post!

I started rendering my Lambo, then my mom went on the computer, and we were watching YouTube videos, and by the time we finished, I never got to post my update! So here it is so far:

There’s still work to do, like some slight dirstortions. Can anyone point out any disortions or mistakes, in case I miss any?

I’m rendering the rear side of the Lambo, but I’m guessing the render time will be a few hours. I added a lot more grills, so that could explain it.

Have you tried experimenting with different lighting setups to get faster results? Mine usually only take a few minutes at four times the resolution of yours, might be just my computer but I dunno. I have a decent (aka not brilliant) setting posted in my Gallardo WIP, I’ll try and find it and see if your renders speed up a bit.

EDIT:

Have a look at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130592&page=2 for what it can do. It’s also instantly compatible with indigo and (almost) yafray, which helps.

My lighting setup is too simple to simplify. My lighting setup is AO (I change the number of samples frequently). That’s it. The only light is raytraced AO, set to add only, and a value of 2.0. I don’t know why it’s going so slow. My scene has 140,120 polys. My computer has a Dual Core AMD 5000+ motherboard, and a NVidia Geforce 6150SE. I’ll experiment with lighting later. Here’s the rear of the Lambo:

I took a screenshot of the image to compress it a little more. What do you think so far?