Lamp lights-up character on opposite side.

Can anyone suggest a cause of this problem?

I have a single mesh character in this scene, and any lamp I point at the mesh lights it up from the opposite side. Like shining a light on the chest and only the back gets lit up. The draw type is ‘shaded’. All my other blender files work ok.
I have checked all the settings for the lamps, material, normals etc., but can’t see anything wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas as to what it could be.

Regards,

Terry (edit) I’m using 2.40

Hmmm, crazy. Have you tried reversing the normals?

Does this happen in the render too? If not then your Ctrl-Key may be sticking (though I guess no if you’ve tested other files). Someone had a similar problem about 3 months ago, but I can’t find the thread.

Things you can try: make sure you don’t have Z-Invert or TexFace pressed in Materials, that your’e not using WardIso Shader and that you haven’t fiddled with PostPro settings in F10.

%<

The problem only occurs in ‘shaded’ mode. It’s OK in ‘textured mode’.

The head of the character, which I modeled seperately, is not affected!
So in the same scene, the head is nicely lit on the front, but the body front is in darkness, with the back lit up. :frowning:
The first thing I checked was the normals and they are OK
I have looked at every setting I can think of and I can’t find anything wrong…

Regards,

Terry

Yeah, but I want to know what the render looks like (before going on to questions like vertex paint and the like).

%<

I just did a render and the lighting is correct, it’s just the shaded mode that show up the problem. Any ideas?

Regards,

Terry

Can you post the blend or send it to me? ([email protected])

%<

Thanks, I will send it tomorrow.( it is 6.30 A.m. here, I have to go to bed!)

Regards,

Terry

I’ve been having the same problem. It’s driving me nuts. I tried all kinds of things to get it to work properly. Then, I went to Object | Clear/Apply | Apply Size/Rotation (CTRL-A).

That cleared it up immediately. What was wrong? I had parented my object to an armature, then adjusted the armature’s rotation and size. The mesh still had its original rotation and all. By applying it, I now get the correct lighting.

Duh.

Here’s part B of that thread:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58870

%<