lamp with frosted/milky glass in YafaRay?

Hi Folks,

I’m trying to model an interior scene that has lamps consisting of glass cubes on the ceiling with frosted/milky glass, thus dispersing the light from the source fairly uniformly. See this URL for an example of such a light:

can someone recommend how to achieve such an effect using blender 2.49b and YafaRay 0.1.1?

thanks,

Robbo

I would use a Blend material. This one mixes Glass and Shinydiffuse with Transparency and Translucency:-

One caveat though; I rendered this with an svn version of 0.1.2 so I have no idea what you will get if you render it with 0.1.1:-
http://www.mediafire.com/?ys6n9s699ynjy22

organic, thanks very much for your help. Your render is impressively similar to the real picture. Unfortunately, I don’t get anything like your render when I load the blend file and render it with YafaRay 0.1.1. I tried varying many parameters, but I cannot get the lamp to look like a lamp and at the same time deliver enough light to the scene.

I guess I should try to get YafaRay 0.1.2…

cheers,

Rob

Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen. I also can’t quite remember what works and what doesn’t in 0.1.1. Assuming Blend materials and sphere lights are available it should just be material and lighting settings.

Try appending everything into a new .blend first, then do the materials and light settings. If that doesn’t help could you post up screenshots for the light and materials in case something obvious strikes me?

Having said that, it can be difficult to light a scene with something like that, as turning the lamp up enough to light the scene results in an overblown looking light source. Sometimes it is necessary to cheat, or post process, a bit.

Rendering to .exr then tonemapping can help.

I don’t think ies light are available for 0.1.1, but it might be possible to place a low powered lamp inside the light object, then add another to use as scene lighting below it, to give the impression the modelled lamp is lighting the scene.

I stuck a couple of area lights near my cubes, and it looks ok for now. I’m going to re-install my system with Fedora 15 as soon as it’s available (10 days…). I trust Fedora 15 will include YafaRay 0.1.2… I’ll keep you posted. thanks again.

As you can see from the render, the lamps are still overblown, but I’ll wait to see what’s possible with YafaRay 0.1.2 first.

Rob