Lan

Ok i doubt anyone will know, if you do, please tell me. Anyhow, i just got a mac the other day and i want internet on it. Since i dont have any other Wifi USB stick that supports Mac’s, i decided to connect to to my pc in my room! First lets discuss my layout:

PC in living room (AKA MASTER PC, connects to internet directly)
|
|
My PC in my room (Connects via Wifi)
||
||
Mac (This is what i want, connect via Cat5)

is there a way to set up a lan with my PC and my Mac via Cat5 Cable to relay my wireless to my mac? My pc and mac are side by side, i already have cat5 plugged and set, just tell me what i need to do please!

Thanks!

I forget if XP home lets you do this… but I know Pro will let you “share” an internet connection between two adaptors, effectively making your computer a gateway. Should be really simple to do even under windows.

I get the feeling that your mac does not have WiFi? If so, what kind of mac is it if you don’t mind me asking.

you need to set up an ad-hoc network between them. Try acsessing a website from the mac using an IP address.

my mac is a iMac, version 33.11.
and how do i set up ad-hoc?
and when you say ip, you mean a websites ip?

and how do i set up ad-hoc?
Don’t know on a Mac. Google it?

and when you say ip, you mean a websites ip?
yep i.e. google = 66.102.9.99.
The reason I ask is If I plug 2 Ubuntu computers together, the second one has internet through Ip’s, but not DNS.I dont know if its the case with a Mac.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Thats basically what you want to do