Here are two quick pics of my progress so far. The image below contains some cryptic notes to myself for improving the scene. For instance, the hay/wheat/rye field at an angle that was counter to the composition. I was following the reference material too closely and as a result it made the focal point- meh.
There should be grass tufts at the edge of the road and thanks to Lumpengnom’s suggestion, more color variation in the leaves.
The hedges were too thick for my taste, looking like leafy meatloaves. I narrowed their widths and then turned my attention to the scraggly tree at the bottom right. I changed the leaf/branch texture so you can now see individual leaves.
I also replaced the strange curve of hedges from the original plan and swapped them out for tall grass particle systems instead.
I wanted to see what trees would look like in the scene so I put in a group of placeholder particle trees to verify height and vision lines. Still have to model the trees on the right mid-foreground but that’s for when I have more time.