Laptop: CPU vs GPU

Hey all,

I need a laptop and I’m on a very tight budget, and I’m not expecting this thing to work miracles, just because I’m away from home most of the week these days and want to still get some blender work in. Out of the following option, which do you reckon is better?

What’s generally availableat my price range (around $600) is nvidia gt 620m/610m/410m basically that whole entry level range with 1gb memory, around 4gb ram, and a dual core i3/i5 with 4 threads.

There is one though that’s an Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM (quad core, 8 threads, 6M cache, 2.2ghz), 6gb ram, integrated intel 4000 graphics (up to 1.5gb, I honestly have no idea what that up to means here though…)

There’s one laptop that says the graphics is shared between the nvidia and the integrated, since all these cpus ship with integrated gpus wouldn’t that be always the case, or is there a difference?

I’m not gonna be doing any serious rendering, mostly modelling, and rendering previews (I can save the heavy rendering for the home desktop whenever I go there), other than that mainly programming/surfing the web/films so nothing too serious. HD space isn’t really an issue, planning on getting a 1tb external HD anyways. Likewise numpad isn’t an issue since I can just buy an external one. There first one I linked doesn’t seem to have USB 3.0 which is a bit iffy these days IMO. Also the OS will be linux, probably arch linux.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Hi tzz,

the i7 sounds best…how much? If you’re going to take it with you a lot, then I recommend
one with a 15" screen.

I bought an ASUS 17" laptop, and it’s impressive, but pretty heavy and bulky.

Smaller is better, unless you just want to have the baddest laptop in the coffee shop. :smiley:

BTW, I don’t think a mobile nvidia card can do GPU renders, or if it does, is faster than
the CPU.

The i7 is pretty small, 14 inches, it costs around $570 or 360 gbp, it’s over 2kg which seems pretty hefty for a laptop lol, but I’ll manage. Also everyone at the office has macbook pros so no luck on the baddest laptop front.

The mobile cards do GPU rendering, I think they do the benchmark in 6ish minutes, the cpu does it in 4ish I tyhink, those speeds are decent for just preview rendering and stuff.

There’s one laptop that says the graphics is shared between the nvidia and the integrated

That sounds like the ‘optimus’ thing. It works by utilizing the onboard GFXcard(intel) for displaying stuff on the screen and the nvidia GFXcard for doing the heavy lifting like gpu rendering. Great for conserving battery life.

since all these cpus ship with integrated gpus wouldn’t that be always the case, or is there a difference?

Not sure what you mean but its the mainboard that has a integrated GFXcard.

Cheers