Laptop for 3D work

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a laptop that I can use for modelling and a bit of rendering (cycles). Just for checking materials and small previews. Mainly architecture and product visualisation.

I got a decent desktop that I use for the final rendering but I would like to be more mobile so that
I’m not bouned to my office.

Budget is around 1400.- euros.
I would love to hear some tips and some advise from someone who works on a laptop and maybe share your specs :slight_smile:

Thx!!
Thijs

MSI GT72 6QD Dominator.
But you should know if you want to render with CPU or GPU, do you want a high quality IPS Display,
how much RAM, Display size, do you need a numpad…

I would add Alienware based laptops to recommendation as well :slight_smile: I am using an Alienware 13. Its an i5 @ 2.7 GHZ with a GTX 860M 1 GB.

Again, GPUs would range from 1 GB to 2 GB of VRAM under laptops. I haven’t kept up to date with the latest trends in gaming and design based laptops, but MSI and Alienware are the better brands in the list. I would recommend comparing prices on how much VRAM you can score, along with the GTX model.

Hope the information helps!

Regards,

Hey,
I am using an Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-592G-79X4 CPU i7-6700HQ GPU Gtx 960 4gb Vram and 8GB ram.
I got it for about 765 euros. It a great laptop to put together a model and do a quick preview render. The BMW benchmark rendered in
3 mins 16 sec with the GPU I didn’t adjust any of the settings from the BMW file. The laptop good entry level 3D modeling laptop. would recommend a mouse the track pad is a bit annoying since it doesn’t have stand alone buttons. When you go to click on something you can some times move the cursor.

Thx Guys! Really helpfull.

I’m looking into this:
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/464427/msi-gaming-series-ge72-6qf-005nl/specificaties/
Sorry dutch site

I did some testing/research with cpu versus gpu and the time I will save with pgu renders is simply to much to ignore.
So a solid gpu is a must.

I’ll let you know when I make my final setup.

Seems like an amazing laptop! and I completely agree on the benefits of using a high-end GPU over a CPU. Just the price seems quite high :slight_smile: but thats just me! If your comfortable with the range, by all means :slight_smile: it would be a great machine both for rendering and gaming! 970M can run prity much all the good titles including Doom, Crysis, Farcry and GTA at 1080p settings with more than an avg frame rate :slight_smile:

Would love to see some benchmarks on Blender though once you buy the machine! :slight_smile:

For doing stuff on the go, I’ve been using a little crappy netbook, and abusing dropbox and teamviewer to have my desktop do renders for me when I’m out and about.

Another rout to look at is this , Ummm there is quite a few caveats to go into for this but if you have a pci-e slot of some type on your laptop you can use an external video card with it with the right adapters. I suggest you be technically inclined before you begin…actually don’t be, it is more fun that way. Just remember that adding hardware to any machine has its own risks.

Don’t get a gaming laptop, they’re always crap 100% of the time. I’ve had several. Get a workstation laptop.