Laptop for Blender use?

Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the right subforum for this, but any way… I’m looking for a laptop that I could use to do 3D and 2D graphics, mostly with Blender and Photoshop. Do you have experience, suggestions, recommendations? I don’t have any idea about what kind of a budget I should even be looking into.

I assume getting the programs to run isn’t that big of a deal, but the hardware might put in limitations in e.g. poly count in Blender, or the screen might show the colors wrong, or something. There are laptops with numpad included, but if I’ll end up using an external keyboard any way, I can move that from the requirements list to the nice-to-haves.

A laptop for Blender should, at the very least, have a dedicated graphics card (i.e. anything not integrated). That’s the most important feature you should look for.

Beyond that, buy all the ram and CPU power you can afford. Spare no expense and you’ll thank yourself later.

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R (the new model). Comes iwth integrated Intel Graphics and a dedicated GeForce, easily powerful enough for my needs, knocks spots off my old Desktop HP DX2550 with a GeForce 8400GS card.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

You can kind of build a custom laptop here: www.xoticpc.com
Start by choosing by Graphics Card Type Of nVidia then choose your price point.

Thanks for the replies, I’m sorry for posting in the wrong subforum.

I’m currently looking at the LG A520.

I could get it for about 900 €, which seems like a good deal for a machine that can have up to 1920x1080 resolution. It seems like to get that resolution, you usually have to pay quite a bit more. It also has an Intel i7 quad-core CPU and an NVidia GPU. For that price, I think it’s decent, but as I said earlier, I’m not very experienced in these matters. It could be that there’s similar machines for sale without the 3D features, for cheaper.

Any input would be appreciated.

I use my laptop for Blender and things I appreciate are:

1. i7 CPU. I have an Nvidia NVS 4200 discreet card and the 48 CUDA cores is slower with Blender 2.6x Cycles than CPU. Check the Blender GPU benchmark for render time http://benchmark.cd3dtech.com/Benchmark/benchmark.html
  2. Large screen (15"+) for when I’m mobile (usually in bed) and docking station to get the Displayport connection for greater then 1080p external display
    3)Dedicated number pad. Not essential but I sure use those keys a lot

You’ll want a good external mouse at least. I never get close to using all 8GB of RAM.