lattice and armatures

Is there a way to parent a lattice to an armature so that segments of the lattice can be moved by the bones? I created a lattice that looks like a string of connected cubes and used it to deform a coiling mesh shaped like a telephone cord. It works ok, but moving particular sections of the lattice stretches it so the cord is stretched or squashed in different sections. I thought of using bones to restrict the stretching, but there seems to be no way to attach them to segments of the lattice. :frowning: Is it possible?

There isn’t such a way to do something like that, at least to my knowledge so far…

You can parent the Lattice to the Armature, but you can’t define vertex groups, so that the lattice would be deformed by the bones, the way Meshes do…

You could achieve what you want with a Lattice though, using RVK’s…

That’s all I know…

Cheers…

I tried to do similar by attaching an armature to a curve and then extruding a profile along the curve but you can’t attach armatures to curves either unfortunately. I think the way I describe solves your squashing and stretching problem because if you extrude a profile along a curve, you adjust the CVs and the extrusion maintains its volume.

The coiling may make that a bit tricky but If I was modelling a phone cable and it was far enough away, I might just extrude a cylinder and wrap a texture round it a certain way with an alpha channel to define the gaps in the coil. This is prone to stretching wrongly but it does give you a lot less geometry than an actual coil.

If there was a way to extrude along a curve spiralling around it, that would probably work best. You might have to dabble with Python to get it to do that though.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’d just have to carefully manipulate the lattice by hand. It’s a static pic, so no problem with that. I found that I could minimize stretching by using rotate instead of grab. Just have to select entire segment sections starting from one end and progressively rotating shorter and shorter sections. Quite a work, though. Sort of like bending a plastic pipe. Do it too much and it collapses :smiley: .
Is there any possibility of getting vertex groups from lattices in the future? It would simplify manipulating them.
Also, why isn’t the Tab key working for the Tkey for 3D paths? It works for grab, rotate, scale. The display changes to >0.00< but it doesn’t accept numeric inputs. Dragging the mouse works, but getting the exact value is pretty hard, specially if you have to do it over and over again for different nodes.

Just type in the value without pressing tab. I wonder why tab makes it zero. It seems a bit pointless because you can still rotate with the mouse. It would be nice if each curve vertex had the t value in the box that pressing n brings up.

If you are just making a static picture. Just use a path and a nurbs circle (surface) and dupliframes. You animate the nurbs circle so that it spins around the path as it travels along it. Make the dupliframes real and then skin them. You can adjust the path before making real to any shape you want and adjust the resolution of the nurbs circle as required. Eg:

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/t1.jpg