Laxwolf's Competition Devlog! (3/4/12 CITY GENERATOR HANDLES 57,600 BUILDINGS!)

BRAND NEW VIDEO (2/18/12)

I just started a fun (soon to be tactical) first-person ninja combat game. You can choose to stab with your weapons or throw them, and enemies can disarm you. There will be hand to hand combat, knives, throwing knives, katanas, throwing stars, kamas, and chains.

The whole point is to make an open, dynamic, and most importantly, fun-to-play melee combat game.

Features I’m going to add ordered by importance:
- Basic enemy (2/12/12)

• Blood and gibs (2/12/12)
  • Test weapon (2/13/12)
  • Damage box (2/13/12)
  • Blood on hit (2/13/12)
  • Critical hits while in air (2/13/12)
  • Ultra critical hit in surprise attack (2/13/12)
  • Extra damage for throwing knives (2/13/12)
  • Awareness towards thrown knives (2/13/12)
  • Hand to hand combat (2/16/12)
  • Random damage on hit (2/16/12)
  • Crouching feature added (2/17/12)
  • Stealth attacks with ultra critical hits (2/17/12)
  • Fixed double knife glitch (2/17/12)
  • Added dynamic slowdown function (2/17/12)
  • Fixed mouselook script error (2/17/12)
  • Double jump feature added (2/17/12)
  • Added ladder climbing (2/17/12)
  • Added fall velocity for height death (2/17/12)
  • Added water to break fall and added buoyancy (2/17/12)- Player death now has gore, gibs, and blood effects (2/18/12)
  • Player death effects now match the player character (2/18/12)
  • Movement in air is slowed as velocity increases (2/18/12)
  • Player can now sneak jump attack enemies (2/18/12)
  • Smoke bombs added (2/18/12)
  • Property that tells enemies to stop chase when in smoke (2/18/12)
  • Stair climbing added (2/18/12)- Throwing stars added with animations (2/19/12)
  • Throwing stars no critical or ultra critical hits (2/19/12)
  • Throwing stars have random flight path (2/19/12)
  • Throwing stars have ammo counter/10 stars per pickup (2/19/12)
  • Any weapon can be disarmed/dropped (2/19/12)
  • Katanas added (2/22/12)
  • Katana has charge up dash attack, does ultracrits (2/23/12)
  • Velocity fixed so it’s only when you’re actually descending (2/24/12)
  • City generator started, works great (2/24/12)
  • Reworked Procedural City Generator, now handles unlimited structures (3/4/12)
  • Fix the mass of objects ()
  • Wall running ()
  • Kamas ()
  • Chains ()
  • Pistols/SMGs ()
  • Foliage ()
  • Pre-made buildings for random city generator ()
  • City generator ()

I’m brand new to 2.6 and so far I really hate it, but it’s going well thankfully…

very cool! Reminds me a bit of minecraft. good luck!

This is superb. I’m not quite sure why yet!? By the way, you’ll soon find the merits to 2.6, persevere!

If you could turn this into a multiplayer web game, then increase the count to like 50 players all who can only carry one knife, the fight scene would be insane!
Also loving the music choice :slight_smile:
Ok this is my third play view for just the music alone, could you please tell us what you used?

Very interesting. I would recommend that you add the ability to turn off the blood and gore for those who prefer not to have it. Also, the weapon’s held kind of awkwardly (in the center of the screen) - seems like it’d be better to be held on the right of the screen. Of course, I’m sure you have a reason to have it in the center.

Anyway, this looks pretty cool.

While SolarLune is definitely right with giving the Option of Turning off the Violence being a good Idea, I also think that the strong Contrast between the »cute« Pixelgraphics and the exaggerated Violence definitely is a strong Part of the Style… »graphical Style«. ; )

yeah I agree with solarlune too gory for my taste, but it looks cool so far!

Thanks everyone!

I would not be able to do that, but that would be really fun.

Yeah, the weapons will be held by hand in a later update, only reason it’s in the center now is because I had no hand. I don’t think I will make an option to turn off the blood because I enjoy it myself. I could possibly make an option though to turn it down slightly, but I will not give an option to rid it completely.

exactly :slight_smile: There will be different deaths not as intense as the one shown, but it’s easier to start at the most graphic and work down.

Anyone else who is interested in the music used, check out Fantomenk here:

Hey everyone, I added a bunch more features today. Here’s the complete development log for 2/17/12!

• Crouching feature added (2/17/12)
    - Stealth attacks with ultra critical hits (2/17/12)
  • Animation on change of weapon (2/17/12)
  • Fixed double knife glitch (2/17/12)
    - Added dynamic slowdown function (2/17/12)
  • Fixed mouselook script error (2/17/12)
  • Double jump feature added (2/17/12)
  • Added ladder climbing (2/17/12)
  • Added fall velocity for height death (2/17/12)
  • Added water to break fall and added buoyancy (2/17/12)

Hey everyone, more stuff. Here’s the almost complete development log for 2/18/12!
- Player death now has gore, gibs, and blood effects (2/18/12)

• Player death effects now match the player character (2/18/12)
  • Movement in air is slowed as velocity increases (2/18/12)
  • Player can now sneak jump attack enemies (2/18/12)
  • Smoke bombs added (2/18/12)
  • Property that tells enemies to stop chase when in smoke (2/18/12)

You’re progressing fast like the Light! ^^
Great Additions! The Smoke Bomb looks somehow fascinating, visually – it reminds me of the Smoke Trails in Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner… just more 8-bitty. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, this game looks amazing, you’ve progressed so fast too! :slight_smile: It’s very gory but I’m not saying thats a bad thing! I really wanna play, it looks like you’ve done everything you need already (programming-wise). Keep it up! :smiley:

It’s looking very good - I love the sky :slight_smile: Keep it up :slight_smile:

Great job Laxwolf. Gore-fun! :slight_smile: If possible try to make the enemies stop looking at the player when smoke bomb is in effect?

Not bad. Though,i am not a pixelated graphics fan.
Keep it up,and take it easy with that blood. :wink:

The game looks amazing Laxwolf!

Good luck and continue with this great progress!

It s looking cool, but I was thinking, its weird to sneak on the back of the enemy while he is looking at you, you could add a back view of the enemy, well its my oppinion, other than that is looking nice.

leonnn, you are right, and it is not just Opinion but a Fact that it looks weird. A Back View would be very adequate, but first an Enemy should only face the Player if triggered (by Distance/Near/Radar).

this is sooo cool! and quick development :slight_smile: also i would recommend that when you punch the enemies that when they die they instead like fall over instead of exploding and maybe when they get hit by the knife they bleed and fall over this way you still get the gory type feel but not so overwhelming. and also i multiplayer support would be awesome with this.

i really like how you can throw knifes :slight_smile: but ya i could imagine an all out 10 vs 10 melee fight or 4 player co-op or something.

Hey everyone, new things for today. Here’s the complete development log for 2/19/12!
- Throwing stars added with animations (2/19/12)

• Throwing stars no critical or ultra critical hits (2/19/12)
  • Throwing stars have random flight path (2/19/12)
  • Throwing stars have ammo counter/10 stars per pickup (2/19/12)
  • Any weapon can be disarmed/dropped (2/19/12)
    - Experimented with architecture, found a working universal scale (2/19/12)

Thank you! They are fascinating I guess, need polish, but I like them.

Thanks! I’m progressing fast, yes, but still lots to do! I like the gore and I plan on sticking with my art direction.

Thank you Mirata!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it’s more about getting the features in first, I’ll handle that soon.

Understandable, it’s not everyone’s taste. Thanks though, I’ll definitely mix the gore up but I don’t think I’ll take it easy, haha.

Thanks a lot, I will!

Yeah, it’s definitely weird and will be fixed soon. I’m just putting in features right now. Polish will come soon.

Yup, it will come, don’t worry.

Thank you! They’ll die in a unique way soon enough. I don’t think I’ll ever get around to including multiplayer, it would be cool though.