Layer blur from Inkscape in Blender

I’m trying to make a blur effect with Eevee, but I just can’t get it right.

I made this relatively simpl image in Inkscape using 2 paths. The background path is just a base solid color and the one in front has the same shape, but has a gradient on it. Then I just upped the “Blur” in the Inkscape material to 20 and it looks like this.

This is what I managed to make in Blender, but I can’t get the edges to blur:

What should I add or remove to the nodes? Is this even possible to do?

It is possible to do. I found a way by using a subdivided plane and a node setup based on the UV coordinates:

The left plane is subdivided and smoothed with a subdivision surface modifier, while the right one showcases the same material on a normal plane to make a little more clear what’s going on in the material. Two upper values in the Map Range node control the range of the feather. I don’t have too much time right now, so here’s the file in case you wanna take a look:

Edge-gradient.blend (951.6 KB)

You can probably get even better results by starting with a circle filled with a triangle fan and UV unwrap it something like this:

Unwrapped_triangle fan example

Then you can use a vertical gradient based on the UV coordinates to create the feather on the edge and mix it with the vertical gradient like above.

I hope this can help you a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like