Layer Manager Prototype for Blender 2.5

agree with 2hot :slight_smile:

How do you change the object to another layer?

It is possible to use a drag an drop function, like drop a material on the object, that is already implemented?

For those that have questions about the (eventual) intended features can vis the the Layer Manager for Blender 2.4x page,

All menu options worked out (have added a few more since last round of work). Would like to release this before the end of the weekend so weā€™ll see.

this would be awesome as a view mode for the outlinerā€¦ so layers could consist of groups and separate objects, allowing to unview multiple groups at once.

is it possible already to save several scene states?

like this

Uknown is a layer name, leaving plenty of space for snap toggles etcā€¦
by enumerating the objects rather than depicting them individually

this screen would be a good place to stick an add layer button,
so a rightlick spawns a menu, including the option to remove layer (while not removing the contained objects)

http://digitalaphasia.com/images/layers_MOCK.png

The outliner to many is a logical choice for layer-like options. However the outliner can not be modified by scripts.

Simply TOO BAD! I was starting to love zeffiiā€™s GUI concept.

group manager works like a layers-manager, the real problem is that is impossible to edit multiobjects property simultaneously, so you have to change object group (or layer) one by oneā€¦ pain :frowning:

i like where this is going, i vote for the outliner layer management thing, but the later is nice too :slight_smile:

BTW i donā€™t know whats the problem of implementing multi object operations, blender can do that already - like linking the material from object to others - :frowning:
plus it is on the TODO list

again, a nice update for that layerset script ! hope to give a try shortly ! (iā€™ was in love with your previous one - 2.4x, always loaded in default file!)

On a modeler point of view, the management of layer is more or less driven by the 3D window, we can expect a popup menu, like Mkey but to simplify rename,etcā€¦actions, and to upgrade modeling workflow.
Here i see some tools like yours in this popup !

On the scene compositing, here, i see your toolpanel as an exceptional access to data manipulation, very usefull! (keep it in the scene properties window.

On the rendering setting, i see that kind of options such not render/render and so on, can be much appreciated, but maybe in the render panel, we have it already !

My personal impression:
such tool can be split into different panels for all the reasons given before, we donā€™t need all as a user. it needs to be accurate to the effective job, and generally, we are working job after job (means modeling, then texturing, thenā€¦to rendering), so each job has to get appropriate toolset.
you follow me ?

Anyway, that can be done separately and customize by the user itself, after the release of your script !
keep going, that really a great work here !
bye

Great workā€¦ this will def make life easier for large scenes. :slight_smile: looking forward to this .

Oops ā€¦ made a comment viewing an older page. Again, blenderartist.org offers no ā€˜delete postā€™. Sorry

I think the BigNumbers script I am porting will have another panel called groups so we can use outliner with groups as layers and what we miss there you will do in the BigNumbers script in Groups Panel.

Great script! where we can download it? i want to test it myself!

i this project dead or what ???

Maybe it is dead

Hilo all! No, most certainly not dead (and nor am I). The combination of real life and an ever changing API made it all but impossible to keep the 2.5x version working. Time is still tight for me (always seems to be) but the biggest stumbling block I have API wise is catching back up to how the UI is coded and how the panels are ā€œhooked inā€.

I just downloaded and installed 2.57 and even I donā€™t have a Layer Manager right now and I really do miss it.

Is posible to try Layer Manager in near future? Itā€™s look great.

Hi, Fourmadmen, sorry im bumping the thread/pushing you, but I really need this script, i want to experimenting with the code and try to add some my ideas to it, is it possible for you to upload it on rapidshare or somewhere else for downloading? at least the latest working version, as well as a link with the current build it was working for the last time? I will appreciate this very much! Thanks!