Layer Painter - Material Editing With Layers - RELEASED

Yeah, I guess you saw that I added the instructions to reproduce the bug, but it can’t hurt to add the script as well.
I’ll let you know when I added it.

The script is now added!

this works in blender 2.8 only?

Do you mean the addon itself? Yes that makes use of Eevee, so it works in 2.8 only.

Just added support for glossiness textures. They will get imported into the roughness channel. There is a toggle next to the texture which will invert it.
That toggle will automatically be activated when a glossiness texture is imported and won’t be, if a roughness texture is imported.

This is also coming to the new update, so please go and award a token to this bug report or verify it, so the devs can get onto it as soon as possible: https://developer.blender.org/T63892

1 Like

Hello
I just downloaded BATS-V1.0.3-api_fix_2 to see how’s it going…
I found out that the object still needs to have a material previously in order to work, cause if it doesn’t have any it looks like bats can’t clear all nodes/ so returns an error.
the major problem I found is that with only two layers the strokes lag quite a lot, is it gonna change in the future?
Thanks

Do you mean that there is an error if there’s no material in the scene?
And for the lagging, that is independent from the addon, it’s just based on your computer and the speed of Eevee. It should be faster if you set it so only the texture itself is visible and not the entire material.

That would say when u select an object with no material on it and hit “reset material”.

also this… could it be avoidable at some point? u always need to sabe the file in order to paint on it

Thanks.

It doesn’t matter which object is selected. The only important thing is which material is selected in the dropdown above the reset button. That is the material you’re editing.
If you don’t have a material in your scene, the dropdown is empty, which will result in an error.

And about saving the file: The textures you paint on are saved in a folder next to your file. The reasoning behind this is, that you would probably never edit materials on an object, which you never saved anywhere.

Hi
I purchased your addon, and i have 1 question & 1 Idea.

• Question:
    I look UI a little different from the demo image, do I forget something?

• Idea:
    Currently, we can only create 1 mask / 1 layer, so if we can create and mix multi masks / 1 layer, it will make paint masks much better. :slight_smile:

p/s: sorry, my english so bad. :pensive:

The image you have on the right is from the unreleased version. I’m hoping that the last API bugs will be fixed soon, so I can publish that version. It will be quite a bit better than the current one. The rest of the new documentation is also for the unreleased version.

And multiple paint masks could be possible at some point, I will get on that when the new version is out.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about rebranding BATS for the new version, to get some new people in. If the name does change it should be clearer what the addon does just by reading the name.
Which option do you think works best or do you have an alternative idea?

• BATS
  • BTex
  • LayerPainter
  • BPBR
  • BMat

0 voters

1 Like

And some exciting news!!:
Even though the bug still exists, I found a way around it!
This should mean that the new update will be out in the coming days, hopefully directly after the official 2.80 release.

The solution is build in a way, that it can easily be converted into the original idea when the bug is resolved.

In case you haven’t gotten the addon yet, make sure to buy it now, as the price will go up to 20$ when the update is released!

6 Likes

I think the name change is a good idea, I’m always surprised by how much a proper name helps market something, especially an addon that people may pass by if they don’t understand it immediately. LayerPainter seems like the best from your choices by far. Also, great job on getting past that bug! I’m excited about trying out the new version.

I don’t know if this has been brought to your attention, but when I was using BATS for my last personal project I encountered a bug that I couldn’t get around that ended up costing me around 6 hours of painting work. Whenever I saved and had to reload while in the painting mode, upon reload all my painting was gone, even if I had hit ‘save textures’ Could there be a safeguard against this happening? Maybe it was user error though, I don’t know.

1 Like

The save textures button is not in the new version.
Also blender automatically warns you in the newer releases when you have unsaved textures.

I see this add-on first time and I think, that you should work in BF for full time to bring these features for official release.

1 Like

Now that Blender 2.8 has been released, I just bought the add-on. \o/ Looking forward to using it.

1 Like

It would be great to have these things in the official version, but unfortunately I have neither the knowledge nor the time to do that.

The results from the poll are fairly clear, so BATS is now Layer Painter!

The documentation is basically complete, you can find it here: https://joshuaknauber.github.io/layerpainter/getting_started/

I’ll do some more bug testing now, as well as record a full texturing process and a trailer.
I’m hoping to get it published by the weekend.

8 Likes

Great news, can’t wait!

1 Like