Layered texture shader node / analogous workflow

I’m trying to figure out how to create a shader network that replicates the functionality of the layeredTexture node in Maya and analogous nodes in render engines like Vray, Arnold, and Renderman.

For those who are unfamiliar with what I’m talking about: The layeredTexture node in maya basically functions like a stack of layers in photoshop. Into each layer you can plug a texture source (such as an external image or a ramp) to act as the color portion of the layer, as well as a separate texture source to act as a mask on the visibility of the layer, and set a composite mode (such as multiply or overlay). This kind of node or its functional equivalent is extremely important to certain use-case scenarios.

Thus far I’ve figured out that I can daisy-chain mixRGB nodes to get much of what I want, but this quickly becomes an unwieldy approach as you ramp up the complexity.

If you know of a good method of doing this, please let me know.

I guess I’ll answer my own question.

In the end, I found that using the mixRGB node in a daisy chain is an acceptable solution, and when put in a group it actually provides an ideal way to instance the setup while allowing for different inputs. Here are some screengrabs:

1 Like