Layering textures with alpha images? Projection Texturing (X, Y or Z but not Camera)?

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I’ve had trouble trying to the answer myself.

I’m using 7.9 and I come from a Lightwave background where layering textures was one of the two ways of texturing. Obviously, the other ways was nodes.
This was perfect for me because I never went for complex texture set ups so I could do what I wanted without nodes.

Coming into Blender, I finally found out that I could layer texture images like in LW, which suits my needs but I’m still a newbie when it comes to layering more like Photoshop.

Here’s the thing - I have three image files: two diffuse images and one alpha image. I want to know as to how to stack the images in the textures panel so that I can use the alpha image as the alpha for one of the diffuse textures?

Yes, I am aware that I can include the alpha within the original texture image when you save it out from my image program but I want to be able to swap alpha textures out at any time so they need to be separate images.

Secondly, how do I set up textures so that they project in the X, Y or Z axes so that it fits the material volume automatically?

Also, is there a way of clipping to a sharp border when projection mapping to prevent ‘smearing’ around the edges?

Sorry for the amateur questions but it would help me out immensely. Oh, and, yes, I prefer to keep away from nodes for now.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers,
Paul :stuck_out_tongue:
(mix_mash)

I only use nodes, and there the setup is alpha image to rgb mix between the two diffuse images (then into shader). If shader settings are the same, there is no need to shader mix them.

Again, using nodes, it would be using generated coordinates (auto size with origin in one corner - but a loose vertex might throw it off). This is then split using SeparateXYZ, then recombined using CombineXYZ - should be obvious when you see it. If not, enable node wrangler to easily preview outputs.

OK, I think I made it clear that I didn’t want to use nodes. I appreciate both your inputs, though.
Yes, thank you for that but I would still like to be able to do this via the texture panel.

I mean, how was texture layering done BEFORE Blender had nodes?

Oh, and sorry if I am sounding rude like this. I’m just trying to get something done in a specific way.

Paul
(mix_mash)

Well, after some stress and hair pulling, I finally found what I was looking for:

http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/blog/index.php?post/2005/02/27/16-didacticiel-usage-des-masques-de-textures-tutorial-using-texture-stencils

It may seem like a backwards thing to request but I have my reasons to do so. I appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

Cheers,
Paul :stuck_out_tongue:
(mix_mash)