LCD screen of a camera

Hi I am modeling a camera and would like to be able to show what is seen by the camera when looking at the viewfinder.
I am not sure how to explain this but guess if I set the object as a camera then baked that I could then use it as the material.
I am wondering if it is possible to do this in a material node setup. Like refraction but different.
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

You could add two cameras to the scene - one that mimics the camera model lens - then a second that is your scene camera (i.e. looking at the camera model screen).

You could then render the view from the first camera - save the image as a texture - then apply this texture to the camera model’s screen material.

just another idea
here why not use the lens as a 2 camera !

happy nl

Yeah i was kinda hoping to do it in one go. ie one scene
It’s a bit like a shadow catcher in reverse just show what is directly visible by the normal of the face.
But I guess that’s really another render anyway

Would a translucent type shader work

That’s a different render, indeed.
Since any object can be a Camera RickyBlender’s suggestion should work (3dview menu, View, Cameras, Set Active Obj as Camera.

Translucent shader for what? If you mean model camera’s screen you’d want Emission shader, Strength =1.

I was thinking of the translucent to project onto.

This idea is more like intense caustics and would probably require an absolute FT of computing power to calculate what I was thinking.

Thanks guys thought there might be a way but I didn’t think it through. The two camera idea was what I first thought of but I wanted to see if there where any ideas of another way around it.

Wait, are you trying to do this during one pass? Like rendering the frame from one camera onto a plane and another camera onto the rendering screen at once? I don’t think this is possible. I would not try to go super complicated and instead bite the apple and render in two passes like moony says - render out a texture at reduced image size and apply this as an emission texture to the LCD during the second pass where the frame is rendered from “your normal scene” camera.