Learing Topology - Help modeling a box

After watching over 40h Blender tutorials on Youtube a today learned about something named Topology, 40h :o

I will show step by step pictures modeling the box.

What should be my next step creating a correct topology so the model dosn’t look so crazy using subdivision modifier?

Attachments

Im modeling i simple box at the moment. Today i learned about Topology and the regular mistakes beginners make.

I will show what i’ve done by pictures. I dont mind if you tell everything i’ve done modeling the box so far was wrong, as long as you tell me what i should do different.

As noticed in the last picture, adding a subdivide modifier makes the objekt go crazy. What step should i think different, and what should be my next step?

Attachments

The object scale is unapplied and also non-uniform. Ctrl+A -> scale to apply. http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=72366

A simple box doesn’t need subdivision surfaces. You’re showing a 1/4 of a box; if the purpose is to use mirror modifier for the whole one, you don’t fill it with faces on the mirror planes as that creates mesh errors when mirror merges them.

Topology requirements come from the forms and design, pipeline stages, and the targeted end use (still, animation, game engine, 3d printing, other (what?)). The only requirement you mention is to have it support subdivision surfaces, which can be done in two ways: edge creasing or perimeter loops.

If you select everything in a cube, shift+e and drag the mouse to have crease value of 1, subdivision surface won’t deform the cube. Alternatively if you add a bevel modifier to a cube, 2 cuts, profile 1, it adds perimeter loops on every side which concentrate subdivisions near the corners. But if it’s a simple box, one doesn’t subdivision surfaces to refine rounded forms because there aren’t many of those, could instead use bevel to add the rounded edges with much less geometry.

It depends on what you want to do with it. The first picture looks rather box-like, and in the others… you deleted part of it?

If all you want is an open box with thick walls, then the first picture looks exactly like that. The subdivition you have selected doesn’t look useful if it’s to stay that simple, but it shouldn’t be a problem either. Where do you want to go from there?

im so sorry, its a total of 10 pictures, but im only allowed to upload 3 at a time. Every post i make must be checked by a moderator. ill try to upload pictures 4-6

Sorry for starting the same thread again, i dont know how to delete the other one. It got so cluttered.

I’ll try from the beginning.

After watching over 40h Blender tutorials on Youtube a today learned aboutsomething named Topology, 40h :o

I will show step by step pictures modeling the box.

Whatshould be my next step creating a correct topology so the model dosn’t look so crazy using subdivision modifier?

at what step should i think differently. Ill upload 10 pictures to show all the step so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503299[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503300[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]503301[/ATTACH]

please be patient with me, im on chemotherapy and my brain sometimes goes on slowmotin

The first thing to mention is, you don´t really need the sub-d modifier to make the model of the box work. Just apply a bevel modifier to round all the edges and you are done. And you have created less unnecessary polygons in the process.

But the exercise is probably to use Sub-D techniques here. What you have to understand is how to place support edges to define the shape of your model the way you want it after subdividing.

Here is a great tutorial on this. It´s for 3dsmax, but the principles of sub-d modeling apply to any polygon modeling software.

For your particular box it would probably have been better to simply continue the edgeloops straight on instead of introducing the 45° corners. Then placing the support edges can be easily done with the “loop cut & slide” function if you keep everything aligned straight.

Oh, sorry, I replied before you had completed your post then.
It makes more sense that way, and also it looks pretty cool.

Thanky you, solved it!! i think i learned more than 3 problems just from your post. Thank you and everyone else who helped!!