Learning a Simple Command

I’m a progressing newbie. I got Blender about a week ago, and I’ve learned a lot since. There are some of the easiest things I don’t know how to do yet, though. One of them is applying a feature to an object, or whatever you’re trying to apply it to, such the world and stuff. I’ve done it before with adding color to a simple flying saucer for practice, but now . . . :-? . I know it has something to do with rendering it. I DON’T MEAN making the features show up in the rendering window, but applying them to the object in the 3D window. :smiley: Thanks!

Hi,

If I understand correctly…

for different shading views in the 3d windows, use the Z key to toggle between wireframe and shaded. CTRL+Z will give shaded with highlights from current lighting setup. ALT+Z will show UV mapped images on a mesh.

But if this is not what you mean then…

Select an object in the 3d window by using the right mouse button when the mouse is over the object you want to select. Then click the material button and the click add new. This wil assign the new material to the object.

Selecting an object in this way, then makes all the different windows (mesh/material/texture/etc) relate to that object. Select another object and the windows will represent data for that object.

And if that wasn’t what you meant either…

I can’t help you with out some more info. :smiley:

Hope this helps,

Sonix.

Thanks, Sonix. It works! :stuck_out_tongue:

My next question is, how do you do the same to World?
For instance, if I was to make a simple blue background, how would I get it to show up on the 3D window?

Thanks again.

the world material only appears during the render AFAIK.

If you just want a blue background, you can set the background color of the 3d view in the user/preferences window.

You can add an image into the 3dwindow. Click view menu in 3d window, then select background image. Press the ‘Use bg image’ button that appears. Click the folder icon next to image, locate your image and confirm. The texture slot lets you use any texture you have instead of an image. The Blend value affects transparency of the image in the 3d window.

If you then want this image to appear in the render, you need to turn on ‘Backbuf’. Open the render buttons, bottom left is a light purple button called Backbuf. Press this, then click the folder icon for Backbuf, in the file location bars just above the purple button. Again locate the same image you loaded for the background view image, then render. This is a good way to do composition projects, where you’re adding a 3d object into a photograph.

Hope this makes sense.

Sonix.

When it comes to “selecting things,” it might help to think of the various “Modes” of Blender as being part of how you go about selecting things. Your current “Mode” provides contextual information for interpreting what your mouse-clicks mean. For instance:

• In Object mode, everything you click on is interpreted as a reference to some nearby object. In this mode, “you are selecting objects.” - In Edit mode, you are selecting vertices … that is to say, points. All of the vertices (points…) considered belong only to the currently-selected object, and you’ll notice that each object separately remembers which one of its vertices are currently selected. This mode is also used when selecting and arranging vertices in vertex-groups. - In UV Face Select mode, each mouse-click is interpreted as a reference to a face. Selecting a face also causes all of the points on the periphery of that face to be selected. - All of these views are consistent as you switch from one to another, which you can do at-will.