LEARNING ABOUT TEXTURES and layers

I was wondering, I know there is normal maps, diffuse, specular and so on, I know you can bake textures. But where I am getting confused is in compositing with these textures. I heard using ambient occlusion with diffuse bakes the shadows and light into the textures. then there is depth of field pass. so… how would I learn this? I don’t know if I just look up one thing and hopefully find another lesson after lets say ambient occlusion and diffuse. I mean… is there a complete tutorial on this? is this why it’s important to render layers to get better textures with these custom layers?

You’re throwing quite a few things together here… Getting an image out of your 3D data can include various steps:
A. (obligatory) Rendering and
B. (optional) Post-Processing / Compositing

Textures modulate certain material or shading attributes (diffuse color, surface structure, specularity, reflectivity etc.) and are therefore a part of step A.

Render layers and passes are the result of step A, but are exclusively important and used for step B. Post-processing means optimizing prerendered or otherwise pre-made image material, compositing is combining various pre-made image material into a new image. This has nothing to do with textures.

So, what do you want information about? Texturing/rendering? Or post-processing/compositing?

Thanks, I figured something wasn’t right. I want to learn about textures and linear workflow. so I can change my texture colors etc. isn’t baking textures taking all info such as light and maps a long with texture into one image so it saves memory? I thank you for taking the time to answer my question. nobody really likes answering my questions for some reason. my modeling is getting good but textures is a whole different story. I’m into wanting to make animation short films, so looking for that type of tutorials. as in textures and warm and cool lighting colors. I started studying mudbox and photoshop yesterday… figured that should help with good detail to my models and textures.

I have been looking at VUE and that seems to have really good landscapes,water and sky atmospheres that I would like to import my models hopefully in the future.

And again I feel there is a kind of terminological confusion here…

Texture baking means to “record” various shading effects created by lighting or material characteristics on a 3D object. Reflections, shadows and many other attributes can be “burned” into a texture that can be then used instead of the render time and effort it took to create them. The render (or game or whatever) engine doesn’t need to calculate those effects any more, they are baked into a texture file.

Linear workflow is… complicated.
In short (and sorry - highly simplified): It deals with the fact that computer monitors don’t display color correctly. Because of that, images for display on a computer screen have a “gamma correction” applied to their pixel data so that they’re displayed correctly on the monitor. This gamma curve makes the image brighter and compresses the darker parts, which results in a loss of detail especially in the dark sections.

Now let’s think of the following scenario: You apply an image texture to your model. This image texture has that gamma correction built in. You render your image and put that out as an image file. That rendered image is supposed to be displayed on a monitor - so it gets that gamma correction, too. As a result, that texture image data has in fact been gamma corrected twice, resulting in a pale and washed out texture.

Linear workflow means that (based on the fact that the renderer works in floating point – linear – space under the hood), all image data that is fed into the renderer has to be linearized, too. So, to stay within the example from above, that texture image we applied to our object will first be “de-gamma-ed”, the gamma correction it comes with is removed. Then the image is rendered and finally for the output on the screen a gamma correction is applied. Thereby the texture’s original gamma correction is restored and it is ensured that no double gamma correction is applied.

Good thing is: Normally you don’t have to think about that in Blender, as Blender does that de-gamma and linear workflow thing automatically…:eyebrowlift:

DO you have any recommendations on how i can understand this? I mean, i know how to use crazy bump and hook up nodes for the diffuse, specular, normal, displacement and occlusion maps from Andrews price realistic texture tutorial, but from there, not sure if it’s my lighting, camera filters or do I need to learn compositing and color grading? I figured to learn more about baking textures to save memory and polys instead of using displacement meshes all the time for big scenes.

so… so far I think I need to understand render layers and compositing then, correct? that’s when you take multiple layers and the final render put them all together? and if so, what goes on in these layers? like depth of field, AO, etc but not the diffuse,normal maps and so on in these layers ? this is where I get stuck in all 3d programs I am trying.any info would be appreciated and I am really grateful for your answers. Dom

I can not answer that question, as I have - honestly - no real understanding for what your problem is.

In general I would think that project based tutorials would do some good, those that cover the entire process from modeling to shading to post-processing, just to give you a better insight at how the different areas fit together. I’m thinking something like this, perhaps? Or this?

Domo,

Here are a couple links to help you understand Baking and it’s steps. I’ve watched the first one (Spent 3 days with it)
Moving on to the second one now.

Then I will watch Ikari’s suggestions after that. Nothing happens overnight with this stuff, just as you get a grip on Blender (or think you do) they add a new improved cool toy. For instance this first tut will instruct you to download an inset tool, which you now have stock / standard.
It is the EDIT> faces > " I " key to inset or extrude. I spent 15 minutes reading and searching before I found out I already had it. However the lesson should be followed. He does it in CS4 in PS and I am in Cs6 or you may have to do it in GIMP. No straight thru tuts for your version and your application. Hence Ikari’s comment and questions. Ikari is a great person and will show you many things. However you are going to have to spend hours,days, years on this to get a grip on it. Or not, you could be a Savant for all I know…Hope these help as they helped me.
This is the one to ignore the download and the addendum vid does not apply for Blender. So 1 & 2

This is a new on I am starting on:
EDIT- this guy made his vids private with no real way to figure how to sign up to watch do NM

Then there are Ikari’s suggestions. I suggest you download the videos and take notes to refer back to. Either by making an editor window in your practice sessions or Notepad>Video>Folder

Thank you guys