Learning how to sculpt

Hi folks

EDIT: latest progress:

After years playing with blender I decided it’s time to learn some sculpting. I’ve few simple scuplts some time ago, but that was before the dyntopo and most importantly using just mouse. Now I bought myself a tablet, so I’m starting all the way from the bottom - no skills, no knowledge. We’ll see how that goes.

Saying that, I give you my first ever attempt at sculpting a ‘human head’.
You can laugh all you want at this tormented abomination, I’m already working on another one :slight_smile:

h01

2 Likes

I’ve watched few tutorials on eyes, nose and mounth and glued them to a potato. No focus on anatomy yet. Just playing with the tools, trying to ‘make shapes’.

h02

I like how you’re just going for one feature at a time, not caring what the rest looks like. The independent features, especially on the second one, are looking good. Keep up the great work!

Thanks. I’m taking it one step at a time. Saying that, I think i’s time for the first attempt at sculpting an actual human head. Just a sketch.

This time I tried a female-ish face. The proportions are still somehow off.

1 Like

Another feamale face. This time with a bit more focus on proportions. Still not sure I quite catched it, though.

Back to male heads. Something like this is what I intended the for the very first one to look like :slight_smile:

Starting to look good , now you can start to do some anatomy studies :slight_smile:

Yeah, I looked up some info about anatomy and proportions. Mostly in form of tutorials/guides for classical drawing. Quite usefull for sculpting too. I tried to sculpt a head using simplified planes to get a grasp on the various shapes. If somebody knows about good materials to study or excercises to focus on it would be highly appreciated.

Tried to give this one a bit of a character. Perhaps even slightly stylized look.

I recommend you get a copy of both ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy (by Madeleine Scott-Spencer, it says “Zbrush”, but everything is applicable to Blender) and Anatomy for Sculptors (as a supplement for the classes from the first one) is the best approach for beginners. Learning anatomy through drawing is also a huge plus (not to say a must).

Thanks for the tips. It looks extremely usefull, although it might be a while before I can do another investment.

I gave another shot to a female face again. Did an ear as well, took me longer than the rest of the face :slight_smile:

The personal life is starting to catch up on me so will have to slow down the frequecy of posting a bit. Also, I think I’ll give a pause to human heads and start doing something else for a while. Just to keep the variety. I’ll still post occasionally in case anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Tried something little different this time.

3 Likes

There is nothing laughable about progress and improvement.

You doing great keep up the good work.

I really like the sword and the last face.

The swords are kinda fun so I decided to make few more

Also put some basic materials on this one

4 Likes

Another one

1 Like

…and (probably) last one. This one took much longer. I think I’ll put some quick materials on it and then I’m done with swords for a while.

6 Likes

@Larssonklaksson great work! :slight_smile: