Learning Python Book

This is a free ebook that will help you learn Python while creating games. I should add this book is for non-programmers.

http://inventwithpython.com/

Hope this helps someone or many. For those of you interested in using this book, please read the further posts and take Social’s advice. That would be good start for learning BGE Python.

Sorry that it was posted in wrong forum. Please move.

You should have posted this in game engine resources.

Edit: Saw the book. Its pretty good. :slight_smile: I already know python quite well…but I will still take a look at it. :slight_smile:

I use Java alot and learning Python came natural. I have just seen alot of questions from those that are new to Python and noticed the trend in younger users.

Yeah. I think that this will help especially with the users who ask repetitive questions. This way there can be somewhere to look when they need help.

Nice find.

Although, I do have a suggestion for those who plan to use this book as a “stepping stone” for BGE Python: when you reach the pygame section, it’s time to start working with the BGE.

Actually, you would probably benefit the most if you tried to recreate the games they make with pygame using the BGE.

Don’t waste your time with pygame, though.

Yes, you can read that…
Or you can spend 15 bucks and support the author this guy is ripping off.

Both are pretty much identical, except that the one I linked to was written by a professional and the other by a douchebag.

The only problem is that the douchebag’s is probably more up to date:(

Can you provide definitive proof that this is truly a rip?

Note: The table of contents, and even the gametypes covered can be similar, or even the same, but if the actual content (writing/images/bullet points) is different, then this does not qualify as ripping.

The only problem is that the douchebag’s is probably more up to date:(
So why would I want to spend $15 on outdated documentation?

If the “professional” wants my hard earned dollars, he should create a new edition, and then I’ll consider it.

Can you provide definitive proof that this is truly a rip?
No, It’s not a direct rip, but yes, the table of contents are very alike and the games you learn are the same except of course re-written or changed a little,
kudos to him for spending enough time to re-word/write everything.

So why would I want to spend $15 on outdated documentation?
You wouldn’t and neither would most people.

But, I think most anyone can re-write a book and that doesn’t give me confidence that he actually knows what he’s talking about.

And it bugs me because I liked the book so much.

If the “professional” wants my hard earned dollars, he should create a new edition, and then I’ll consider it.
A 2010 3rd edition just came out! wohoo!
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262589665&sr=1-1

I highly recommend it.:smiley:

It’s not a rip, period.

A 2010 3rd edition just came out! wohoo!
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262589665&sr=1-1

I highly recommend it.:smiley:

Bricks make better paper-weights (and they’re much cheaper than $23). :smiley:

Just wanted to say: Thanks for the heads-up on this book! It’s proven to be very useful for me.