Learning UV stuff

Hello sundialsvc4

thanks for the feedback
I totally agree with you. I’ve always tough that my tutorials are not clear, not straight,
confusing and not pedagogic …but people never told me.

About the little texture appearing all over??
When you load a texture in the UV editor it appears inside a “square area”
Outside that area the texture will repeat “infinitely” in the selected faces
That’s why you must pay attention to make seamless textures

Bye

Thankyou fly. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll try those things out.

I do have one questoin. What do you mean by using .png or .tga?
(Man I am such a newbie)! 8)

Also, thankyou for clearing up the UV imaging and not mapping thing.
Since what I’m trying to do is UV image texturing, what exactly is UV mapping, then?

I do have one questoin. What do you mean by using .png or .tga?

They are file formats for images like .jpg, but they have the ability to store alpha info in a seperate chanell.

Also, thankyou for clearing up the UV imaging and not mapping thing.
Since what I’m trying to do is UV image texturing, what exactly is UV mapping, then?

See the docs, there are links in my sig.

%<

Well, that sort of thing is simply “par for the course” with technical documentation. The person who writes it is a subject matter expert, but you really can’t know how well the message is being conveyed until you present it to someone who has no contextual basis of knowledge comparable to yours. Every technical author encounters that.

About the little texture appearing all over??
When you load a texture in the UV editor it appears inside a “square area.” Outside that area the texture will repeat “infinitely” in the selected faces That’s why you must pay attention to make seamless textures

That’s what you need to add. Once the person gets “derailed,” he’s lost. And you, the expert, can’t always forsee where he might fall off the rails.

OTO, i thought your tutorials were very clear. In fact only after reading the stella toon tutorial was i able to successfully weight paint. Then again, I often get accused of being less than clear in my own tutorials, though i try to be. When I think back on how mysterious blender was to me when i was relatively new to it, I understand the reaction. I think alot of it, is simply that blenders interface is not so intuitive to someone who is used to the standard windows approach to interfaces. especially 2.28 and previous.

Thank’s Modron for your words.

I don’t want to “look” rude to new Blender users ( or even olders)
My thought is: I really don’t care if they’re good or not, clear or not or whatever.
If people don’t like them, just don’t read them ( anyway I don’t have the time or the
courage to retouch them.
I know that someone, somewhere, will find something interesting. That’s the point.
Even now, after some years of Blending, i read all tutorialls posted by people, sometimes
by someone who have started last month. There’s always something good to “take”

Well…a beer for all these people, please :slight_smile:
Bye

All right. I’m learning.

I haven’t been able to crop the symbol in the paint program yet. (All I can use for now is the old fashioned windows paint program, can’t use Gimp yet. The program will only crop square bitmaps you know.)

I really should ask. Is the UV editor the same thing as the UV image editor? (If you don’t know by now I’m very much into specifics).

Thankyou.

Hmmm . . . One more thing.

I’ve saved a copy of my image in .PNG. Now, I’m just wondering, could you please explain where I can find and how I use “usealpha” or “calcalpha.”

An easy to use windose painter is Pixia (google)

1. yes, same thing

2. Confusion again: if you saved it as .png in a paint prog then your Alpha Layer (background) should be transparent (or the color that the prog defaults to and reads as transparent… checkerboard in some progs) If not, then you need to add it as an image texture in which tab you will see those 2 options and map it to UV not Col. Now, if it has an alpha layer you use “UseAlpha” and if it doesnt (then the background must be black) then use “CalcAlpha”.

%<

Thanks for the Pixia, Fligh. It looks really handy :slight_smile: .
Just a quick question: Might you know how to crop an image in Pixia?

Anyway, I saved the symbol made in pixia in .png and I notice something curious. When I load it in the UV editor everythings transparent. Can’t see a thing.

Also, about trying it as an image texture, I’m wondering how to make the image seamless?

I wrote this:

http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/x5336.html

and there is an update of this doc also in the CVS, hopefully it will be online anytime soon.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, malefico. Big help.

I’m just not sure how to load the layout of the face layout from the uv editor to the gimp program–or in my case, pixia.

In the uv editor in the uv menu in the header there is an option to Save UV Face Layout. This will export your layout to a tga file to load in your image editing program.

GreyBeard

Sorry, Greybeard. It didn’t work.
I don’t think Pixia can read tga files, because I can’t find that file type on it.

It reads .png which does the same thing.

%<

One other thing fligh%.

Um, you never answered my question on why nothing was showing up in the UV editor when I loaded images from the pixia. It seems I’m making everything transparent. What do I do to distinguish what’s transparent and what’s visible? I can’t seem to figure it out.

Put everything that’s transparent on the first layer (Layer@0) and erase the default white color of that layer. Open a second layer and paste the selection of the emblem onto that.
Files that read transparency, like .png and .tga usually have a dedicated channel for that and it’s usually the base layer. Google for more info on that.

%<

Hmmm, I think I understand part of the process, but when I try it I don’t think I do it right. Could you explain the step by step process on what you mean. (I’m pretty good at following step by step directions, which is probably why I like cooking. :slight_smile: ).

I really appreciate your help, fligh.

http://www.geocities.com/marcalix_ca/pixia/overlap.html

%<