Legalizing P2P Filesharing: Digital Utopia or Crack Scheme?

This is awesome. In a nutshell, this organization proposes a free market solution to illegal P2P activity.

It suggests that a monthly fee could be collected and appropriately distributed among copyright holders in such a way as to legalize filesharing.

What do you guys think? I’m leaning towards Digital Utopia.

arexma- I think your dismissing this to easily, the link goes into detail about how it could work without DRM and controlled P2P sites.

To be able to distribute the money to the copyright owners you have either to keep track of the whole P2P network, or moderate and control it. First is almost impossible, second is realizeable only with DRM, else there would be a illegal P2P network again running beside the legal P2P redistributing the stuff.

So, basically we would get a torrent or P2P network with controled content and DRM.
Steam? Direct2Drive? Impulse? EAOnline? already got those.
You can basically rely that those companies will not shipwreck soon and the DRM servers will still work, or securom and DRM removal patches will be supplied on closure.

If it gets “legalized” to anyone, who will take care of the DRM once a company or organization closes down…?

Crack Scheme from my site.

Quite a good subject this is. I suppose the supply and demand curve will dictate future events regarding this, and regulators and other stakeholders will no doubt contribute somewhat.

The people that use limewire and BT now for illegal stuff would still use it, and the honest people would stay honest. It would be a massive waste of resources.

Yeah, I don’t think that sort of thing is really going to work. There are only a few things that would. I think the best way to capitalize on file sharing right now is on the physical product vs the digital product. People can download a movie or a song, but they can’t download physical objects. NIN has been looking at that angle lately. They give people the option to download an album for free, but $5 will get you lossless files, and $10 will get you a physical product / booklet and $40 or $50 will get you a nice package of stuff - like a collector’s edition. So there’s that sort of thing.

Also, making money via advertising is always a possibility, and indie artists have a lot more to gain from the internet than a signed band. I try to support indie bands online as much as possible, buying music and shirts and stuff. The future of music is on the web. Now that it’s saturated our culture, you can’t get rid of it. The only thing you can do is try to find those solutions. The next big website is going to be one that allows indie bands to make money from their music without requiring people to shell out much money at all for the music. If someone were to make a website that enabled that, and which didn’t focus on making obscene profits (instead focusing on the bands) and where people could just go and listen to music whenever they wanted, then that would become a popular website.

Maybe new artists will be discovered via the internet, and we can cut record labels out of it.