Lego Duplo Motorcycle

I’m somewhat new to Blender and have an idea for an animation for my church. I have a Lego minifig model that I’m working on that I’m going to put my Pastor’s face on and have him ride this motorcycle. I know it’s not technically a Lego motorcycle, but I like this design better than some of the Lego models. I’ll scale it to a proper size.

Anyway, I have a question:

Is there a way to use procedural textures to add some dirt or something to the wheels without using a uv? I know this can be done in another application, but I’m absolutely loving Blender.

If you have any suggestions as to rendering and texturing, please point me in the right direction. I’m just barely getting a grasp of everything and am in awe of the abilities of Blender.

Thanks.

If you want dirt just on the treaded part of the wheels you’ll probably need to do a UV map.

Ok. I’ll have to do that.

There’s still a bit to learn for me. Any good UV tutorials out there that are relevant to the 2.6 version?

Thanks.

try the videotutorials at blendercookie, i think there where one or two explainations of uv in >=2.5