Lego Spacecraft

I realize that this is already a lot like what Lego Star Wars have already done, but after learning how to do CAD in blender, I really couldn’t resist. So I essentially modeled 60 some pieces to make this space ship. Relatively simple project that took a LOT of time. I’d love to know what you guys think of it. And I didn’t design the ship/rover thing it was a set.

Attachments

I’ve always liked playing with Legos in real life (even if I’m 35). Makes me want to do the tutorial and make some Lego models myself. NIce work!

Sweet. Modelling seems spot on, no crits there. Except maybe for a little bit jaggy edges on the windshield and slight triangulization on the white sides. I’m not familiar with those pieces though, (too new for me :wink: ), so not sure.

But… you really have to loose the blue background. Lighting also needs some work, you at least need some filler light to light those pure black shadows.

What tutorial are you referring to hbroo?
What tips would you give for CADing in blender Ronnie? Your ships look great.

There’s one from William Chamberlin referenced here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131091

It thought I also saw one that involved importing from LDRAW or Lego Digital Designer, but I can’t find it now; maybe I imagined it. It seems several people have just modeled the individual pieces directly with impressive results, including Ronnie here.

EDIT: Regarding LDRAW import, I may have been thinking of this: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts/Manual/Import/LDRAW. It doesn’t look like there has been much activity for a couple of years so I don’t know if it still works with the latest versions. All else being equal, I’d think modeling your own parts would be more fun.

hiower: That curved piece definitely needs work, it’s been bugging me too :p. As far as lighting and materials, I’m still learning how to do those in blender. If you have any good tutorials to check out I’d love to see them.

GaTT: I’d recommend getting a pair of calipers, for me that’s the easiest way to start making accurate, to-scale models. From there, just toy around, find something you can hold in your hand to model, like an ipod or something.

hbroo: I checked out that photo-realist lego tutorial, and it was very impressive! I’ll definitely look off that for some lighting and materials help.

I did a quick animation of the legos falling into place. I have bigger plans for this project like maybe it being constructed in a space port or something. Thanks for the comments!!

I checked out those tutorials, very impressive! I did the modeling a little differently, but I can definitely use the help with lighting and materials, which I am still trying to learn. But you’re right, Hiower, that piece is very angular and awkward, it’s been bugging me too :stuck_out_tongue:

GaTT, first off I would go out and buy some calipers. You can learn a lot by doing if you just sit down and try to model something in you can hold in your hand. This is what I learned off of when I first started with blender last summer : http://www.rab3d.com/rab3d/tutorial/608/tutorial_608-1.html.

I put together a quick animation of the pieces falling into place on youtube. I have bigger plans for it, like maybe being constructed in a space port or something, but thanks for the comments!

I checked out those tutorials, very impressive! I did the modeling a little differently, but I can definitely use the help with lighting and materials, which I am still trying to learn. But you’re right, Hiower, that piece is very angular and awkward, it’s been bugging me too :stuck_out_tongue:

GaTT, first off I would go out and buy some calipers. You can learn a lot by doing if you just sit down and try to model something in you can hold in your hand. This is what I learned off of when I first started with blender last summer : http://www.rab3d.com/rab3d/tutorial/608/tutorial_608-1.html.

I put together a quick animation of the pieces falling into place on youtube. My username is gambit021. I have bigger plans for it, like maybe being constructed in a space port or something, but thanks for the comments!

I put together a quick animation of the pieces falling into place on youtube. I have bigger plans for it, like maybe being constructed in a space port or something, but thanks for the comments!

Very nice!
I too am a fellow user of CAD.
In the actual set, was the windsheild/dome thing transparent?
Still a good model!

Yes it was. The canopy was a kind of orange transparent plastic, it still isn’t very much like the piece, still is a bit ghosty, and not like glass. If you get what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you planning to make it transparent?
(are you even still working on this?)

Definitely still working on it, don’t have much to show as far as progress, I’m still in a story-boarding sort of phase. I’m working on an animation which involves a sequence of assembly lines and cranes to put the rover together. I’m working on the crane now, and will post that up as soon as it’s finished.

But yes, I do plan on making the canopy transparent, do you have any suggestions or tips to improve it?

No, but I will be watching to see if I can be of assistance. :wink:

OMFG:D my brothers just got the same set and ive been trying to recreate it on blender so i serched “lego” and it came up with this, ive also being trying to make a lego data base with as many different briks as possable also the best tex ive found that works with lego is a flat colour shadless and edges on full:eyebrowlift:

Haha! What a coincidence! I can post the blend file if you’re interested in seeing how I approached doing the bricks, but know that they are very low poly.

Thanks for the texturing help, I’ll be working on texturing again soon. What do you mean by ‘edges on full’?

I have this set! It’s like, the coolest one EVAH! Except, I modded mine with a brickarms combat LMG deployable on the back, and some hinges for a troop transport instead of the alien expirementy thingy. It’s freakin’ shweet.

EDIT: if you google “make legos in blender” It shows you how to import LEOCAD bricks.
heres the link:
http://cproductions.hostbrickmovies.com/Photo-Realistic%20Lego%20Bricks/Bricks%20Tutorial.pdf
It used to open on my computer, but it doesn’t anymore. Stupid piece of junk!

please post the .blend and when i said “edges full on” this pic should explain

browser stuffed up so the pics in this post

Attachments

pickle: Thanks for the help with the edges thing. I tried it out in a few different ways and I don’t think it’s the direction I want to go with it. But thanks for letting me know how to do it.

This is the crane apparatus that will be used to construct the rover. It’s all part of an animation I’m working toward. I learned a ton about actions and drivers doing this crane, but in the end I got it all figured out and it works awesome. I’d love the post the blend file but it’s too big.

Attachments