Lens setting

what lens setting is equal to a human’s perspective? i’m having a lot of difficulty with this.

and also, how do you save blender so that you can make your own default start-up interface (I.E. without the default cube, custom camera settings, etc).

thanks! :smiley:

Well, we see in an oblong spherical kind of shape, not rectangular. Cinema ratios, 2.35:1 work the best to mimic what we see. 2K Cinema is 2000 wide x 850 hi.A 35mm lens size is good, but it’s the aspect ratio that is more important.

i see, thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

My understanding is that the 50mm lens is the closest to the human eye. At least with a 35mm camera.

You can save personal default settings using Ctrl+u. There’s also a file menu item for Save Default Settings and for Load Factory Settings, in case things get too wild and crazy.

Trying to match a human POV/FOV with a camera lens is only going to give you a so-so approximation. Much more of what we see takes place in the brain rather than in the physics of the lens/retina combination. For example, a 50mm focal length lens imaging on 35mm film provides perspective characteristics considered a fair match to the average human view, as mentioned. But some subjects, like faces, look less appealing with this lens compared to one of 100mm or so, so portraits are usually shot with longer lenses. Rather than matching the eye’s physics, portrait photographers match an expectation of appearance, which is more psychological than physical.

Human eye lenses are constantly changing shape to accommodate a particular view/subject distance, which alters the perspective somewhat as well. No single fixed lens focal length can match this versatility. Camera lenses, even zooms, don’t do this, they change the distance between lens and imaging surface, or between elements in a complex lens, which doesn’t alter perspective in exactly the same way. Virtual cameras like Blender’s work differently still, producing a view calculated with math that is only an abstract emulation of a physical lens’ operation.

Bottom line is that in most cases it’s better to choose a lens or lens setting based on subject matter or artistic intent instead of trying to match the eye’s physical imaging characteristics.

BTW, the Blender “Lens” setting doesn’t correspond accurately to a focal length in millimeters, so if you want to set the Blender camera to better match a camera lens focal length, you might find the BLenses script useful.