Let player draw textures?

Hey all.

I am wodering if there is a way to let the player draw their own textures for objects. Like In animal crossing or something like that.

Thanks

yeah, just keep the textures files unpacked and put a small tutorial on how to open and modify them.

also, it would be great to make the uvw simple as hell and write indications- like- here is the fence.

Or you can just program this in python to make it “in game”, but you have to be a code god.

you can do realtime vertex paint, but it’s slow as hell!

Ok then. So no simple way in game. Oh well thanks anyways.

Edit: Is there a way to load image files in a runtime so that someone without blender can play?

Ok then. So no simple way in game. Oh well thanks anyways.

Edit: Is there a way to load image files in a runtime so that someone without blender can play?

Yes. Just pack the images and make the file exe… File > Save game as Runtime…

Is that what you mean?

If it doesn’t work… You can also make that people vna install the game…

Sorry this isn’t an exact answer to your question but in Animal Crossing (which I have) they use a basic paint program. It saves the image and UV wraps it to your character or what ever object it’s going to be set on. You will need to make/find a code for that if one exists or can exist, then create a pixel button that snaps to the in game “pixels” so you know where you draw. It’s a good experiment though, I’ll test it out. I’m thinking for each pixel of the picture would be 1 plane object. But then how would you UV wrap it on the character? That would be the problem. It can be done in C++ coding, I’m not sure about Python I am a noob at it.

Ok thanks. What I meant by loading the textures in a runtime was so that I could provide the textures with my game, then someone could open them in Gimp or whatever, and edit them then load them back into the game on their character or car or something. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

When you pack the game into an .exe, and include the required .dll’s in the folder, that’s the only thing that is in there. The images are inside of the .exe and to my knowledge they cannot be taken out and edited. If the images were able to be separated then by all means you could edit the image, but the name of the image would need to remain in the same file and go by the same name.

I was curious some time ago about loading new images on the fly and mapping them to objects. Here’s the test blend I made, it’s only a few lines of code. Hope it’s useful!

To use it, make a ‘test.png’ and place it next to the blend. Then open the blend file and run it, you should see your test.png mapped to the face.

Attachments

texture_load_test.blend (119 KB)