Lets talk about blender interactive

I will not, I have a game,

I don’t think graphics make games, but they sure help.
I won’t migrate, I will fork.

When the viewport integration is done, I will look at harvesting some of its code to get the bge closer to snuff.

If I can’t (I am not a good coder) some one else will.

I learned to code using the bge, and I love it.

It allows me to be lazy, and not code C, but still do almost anything.

Then you better get used to coding in C/C++. If you want to fork Blender’s viewport integration code into the BGE and fix/maintain the BGE as it is relegated to a lesser role in the Blender internals (& maintenance schedule) - you’re going to be up to your eyeballs in C/C++.

The proposal by PGI to make a little more order out of everything, (one big file with search index)

this way you plug in nodes, or ? BPY -> JVM -> C ->JVM->BGE I think. and then just the game loop.

I am not sure how well I understand it though. - http://www.tukano.it/blender/TheDiagram.pdf

I agree that other engines are better, of course, and no BGE users says that it’s the perfect one. What I mean is that the game engine is still good to create some games/projects/interactive shows/etc.
It’s like comparing Unreal Engine 4 and RPG Maker… UE4 is much better than RPG Maker, right? even to do RPG, but who cares if the goal of the user is to use RPG Maker for what it does. Why not use the BGE if it’s enough for the project.

But this is not a topic about the future of the BGE. Does anyone really know what the interactive mode is going to be?
Is it an evolution of the BGE of something totally different? will be some logic nodes and a way to make it standalone ? what’s the real goal behind that if it’s not game (or similar) ?

Actually, I don’t think that’s a valid comparison. RPG Maker has a specific style of game to which it is focused. The BGE could make a game in the same vein… but it’s not designed for that, it would take much longer, and you’d be coding / developing far more than you otherwise need to.

UE4 & the BGE are ostensibly meant to create the same type of games… it’s just the UE4 does it better & faster. In both the comparisons (RPG Maker & UE4) I would choose them over the BGE because, in regards to the ease, speed, and flexibility offered for making games of a specific type - they are better than the Blender alternative for making the games they’re designed to make RPG Maker for top-down JRPG’s and UE4 for games using a 3D environment.

Which is kind of the point. There is not a game genre I can think of that there isn’t a better alternative for than the BGEand, even as a generalist engine, there are free & low-cost alternatives that beat it hands down for ease of use, flexibility, distribution options, and so on.

For you, that may be true.

For me, the engine does everything I want,
However it needs a little more graphical wiggle room.

Last night I coded a component based Ai you can assemble from rigid bodies…
It pathfinds a target, if it sees it, based on affiliation.

Took me about 45 minutes,
now ai pathfinds rather then seeks: http://youtu.be/Xl3hAzV9Le4

I remade most of the player mechanics from Metroid prime in about 16 hours,
First person / third person
Ball mode
Charge gun
Bomb
Missile
Super missile
And my own graviton ray.
3d spider ball
Camera placed by ray
Could probably do it better and faster that that now.

You’re right but everything in Blender is like that. Particles/sim are good but better in Houdini. Compositor is great but Nuke has more possibilities. Cycles is awesome but to be honest, Arnold is even more awesome… Same thing for the game engine, it will never be as good as UE4 I think, even if the BF had a lot of money to spend to rewrite everything, but like I said in previous pages, that’s not a big deal for some projects where the limitations are not an issue.

If you want to use only best softwares for 3D in every areas: don’t use Blender.
I really love Blender because the package is awesome, and I like that this package include a game engine that works very well inside Blender. That’s why I’m curious about the interactive mode. It may be even more integrated.

I think the keyword here was “free and low-cost”, for example, there is a place for Blender because it’s about the best all-round 3D solution that you can get for under 1000 dollars. Not so for the BGE nowadays (emerging solutions like Godot and two others by former BGE users are making sure of that, the latter two even plugging into Blender in a very similar way to the BGE).

Well, aside from the fact Ace Dragon pointed out (I was speaking about “free or low cost” alternatives), the point isn’t whether the BGE can be used by people who don’t care about the lesser capabilities & GPL distribution restrictions - it’s whether the BGE is good enough for enough people to have continued/increased focus from the paid Blender Foundation / Institute developers.

The thing to remember here is that the BGE will ALWAYS be available. Unlike the examples you used, one always has the source code to previous versions of Blender (& the contained BGE) to use if it floats your boat. No-one is taking the option away from those that really desire the BGE over the alternatives. The question is whether the BFI developers consider it worth the extra resources to maintain/develop moving into the future. It isn’t the first module of Blender to be considered surplus to requirements (though possibly the largest) and I believe it won’t be the last.

Thats cool, if you like godot,
I tired it, and it’s about like using quake army knife,

I like the bge.

honestly, you can’t act like people won’t do good work with a tool because you don’t like it.

Take any well made fun to play game,

sure it could look perfect, but that is not what makes it fun,

No-one is acting that way. You seem to be confusing discussion about whether the BGE is worth future development effort by the BFI with whether you can/will use the BGE.

People are still using MS DOS (I know, I’ve helped some of them). Didn’t stop Microsoft (and most other people/companies) from moving on to bigger & better things. You, like the MS DOS users, are free to create and use the BGE as much as you like, and you even have the source code to alter it to better suit your needs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean your use justifies effort on the part of others. Which is the point being made here. No-one, and I repeat no-one, is saying that the BGE cannot be used to make some interesting games. However, it is limited compared to the alternatives and these limitations are not simple to fix. The question is whether the limitations are enough to drop future support for it, not whether you can use it now.

apparently there are also shader wizards who can do whatever they want with the bge.

This looks better then battlefield 3 to me, or equivalent

Really? You’re honestly compare the BGE to Battlefield 3? And saying it looks better?!? Sorry, but you just lost whatever shred of credibility you had left in my books.

Two more for comparison…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]359463[/ATTACH]

If the BGE has done ANYTHING at this level, I’ve yet to see it.

you never played BF 3

it has been a minute.

also, I was refering to the airplane, sky, and shaders,

not on foot, in the streets,
which I think if you had half that amount of funding,
(not one guy on his computer in his freetime)

you could do,

I am saying it is capable, in capable hands.

also, I think that for the playing field, bge is worth every penny.

Yeah, you’re still completely off-base. Whether you are lying to us or yourself is immaterial, there is no comparison between the two:

No, you couldn’t. Battlefield 3 has some incredible and some smart-yet-situational technology to make it work as well as it does. Frostbite 2 is an amazing engine with features / performance that BGE hasn’t a hope in hell of matching in it’s current form. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about but, if you want to educate yourself, why not read some of the reasons the BGE cannot do Battlefield 3 regardless of how much time & money an artist has.

DICE Publications

Of course, you’re getting some value having contributed/paid no value. Of course it’s worth it to you given it’s free. That doesn’t mean there aren’t other better options at the same (or near same) cost. It doesn’t mean it is worth the opportunity cost to the Blender Foundation/Institute needed to maintain it going forward.

I dont know why you are willing to fight against it,

Who cuts your paycheck?

And I dont think anyone would argue, that an engine is only limited by its developers.

if you took half what they spent on frostbite, and did paid development of the bge, I dare say it could, be as good.

what I am saying, is that the blender foundation has spent almost nothing, to get where the bge is today.

Mate, my last two posts have simply been pointing out that you are being dishonest, either to yourself or to us, about the capabilities of the BGE. It is nowhere near capable of Battlefield 3 visuals & performance. It’s not even possible without rewriting large parts of the engine and adding features that just don’t exist at the moment.

I do. I’m a self-employed developer who has been cutting code for over fifteen years. Been using Blender for almost as long. I don’t care if the BGE stays or goes, but I fully understand & support the Blender Foundation/Institute’s current position. The game engine is nowhere near competitive and, frankly, it’s been going to (bit)rot for some time.

Now if you’ve finished implying that the only reason I disagree with you is some tawdry bribe by a Blender competitor, perhaps you can get back to discussing the BGE without the fantasies & conspiracy theories? :rolleyes:

Of course. No-one has been arguing that. However, no-one is coming forth to pay the Blender Foundation/Institute that amount of money either. If wishes were horses and all that, there would be unlimited developer resources to dedicate to the BGE and there would be no cost to the Blender Foundation in maintaining it going forward. Here in the real world, the BFI is making a decision based on very limited resources, a game engine that is currently quite sub par, and cash reserves being chewed through for their open film projects & priorities.

That’s great. It’s also completely irrelevant. No-one has been discussing the investment to date.

also, you are right, lol

apparently I never played BF3 :smiley:

I played bf bc2 :stuck_out_tongue:

and graphically, BF3 is a huge step above Mokozons Jet game,

However… I also don’t think “interactive mode” will be anything like the current bge.

I guess I am one of the few, who thinks that all the bge needs is a few graphical modernization steps,
to be steam viable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Battlefield_Bad_Company_2_-_Vietnam_Expansion_pack_cover.jpg

damn charlie is in the trees.