Lets talk LINUX

omg uncle entity! :spin: stop taking yourself so serious. i mean really. I curretly use windowsxp and i also love apple osx! I was only posting this thead to share a simple opinion that i think linux seems pretty cool and i’d like to see more apps available for it. then it got raided by fanboys:no: sad so sad. no flame war starter here. but if you do take this thread that serious or interpreted in into anything more…well then maybe it’s time for a kushy kush smoke break:eyebrowlift2: what would tux say? LOL

Tux smokes!!?!?!?!!!

I use Linux because I like working with computers. If you like working with computers, it can be fun to have a system that offers more control than Windows. If you just want to use the computer and aren’t interested in it for its own sake, then you should probably just stick with Windows or OSX.

And I know I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again: I don’t want Linux to become widely-used. Ever. I’m serious about this. Keep Linux elitist and inaccessible. If too many people start using it, there will be a new dark age of viruses and bloated corporate spyware. Go Microsoft! Please continue spreading slanderous lies about Linux. As long as you keep it up, I know I’ll never have to install anti-virus software.

Shrug… “Flame war? Why bother?”

I’ve got “one of each.” Works great. Each machine was bought for the purpose for which it is now used. Go and do likewise, if you want to.

When the dust finally settles, “Windows, OS/X and Linux are …” operating systems. Nothing more or less. All of them have proved their worth. Some people are slavishly infatuated with one or another of them, but for most people they are “tools for the job.” Entirely secondary to whatever the computer is used for. And may it forever so be.

You can certainly use Blender in all three environments and freely share your work between them. Works great.

I agree. I want linux to stay true to it’s elitist form myself. but a few stunning games that run on linux would be nice and certainly can’t hurt.

check out this puzzle game. it looks rally fun and addictive!http://www.pseudoform.org/

The biggest problem for people like me is that if anything is not set up automatically in Linux I have no clue how to fix it if I cant do it from GUI. Nothing made me more mad then asking for help on Ubuntu Forums and being told to type sudo something into terminal.

As allready said, Linux also needs more apps with bigger numbers of features. Under Linux I have to run 2 different apps to play and menage music on my mp3 player. Under windows I do everything with Winamp in half time.

ok

1. you don’t need to type, you may just paste the instructions :wink:
  2. try VLC or MPlayer and then call Winamp a wimp

what i fully agree with, is that linux needs a really cool aaa game. like world of warcraft. and it should run on linux exclusively, no port to mac or win. :evilgrin:
would be so fun to see all the lil fat gamer kids messing around in the terminal window, just to get their plantronics usb headset working - wipeing away their tears, cause they started crying right away when they realized that there is no setup.exe for the game.
was that 2 cents from me? i guess its worth one and a half.

I have to laugh at the notion that open-source apps, by their own nature, will one day be “exclusives”. There are people nuts enough to take the source and port it to whatever funky platform there is out there…

i wouldnt care whether its open source or not. let it be commercial and like 5 bucks a month to pay - important is, that it just rocks. i wanna see those kiddies crawling through config files to no end…

In this day and age they should get config video files. Nobody reads or writes anymore… oops…

lol that woulda be awesome! or even better: interactive videos with joystik and gamepad support! like if they set screen res to full hd, there comes that “m-m-m-m-MONSTERKILL” sound and if they go to 640x480 its “humiliation” :smiley:

I think that’s called a video game. :wink:

would be good to squash bugs and track down issues in a FPS maze of twisty little man pages, all alike… :wink:

1. I know I can copy and paste, and thats not the point.
  2. VLC or Mplayer? Are you joking?

Though someone could create a “aaa” game exclusively for Linux, don’t expect that the gamers would lose much sleep over it. They’ve already got tons of games they can play, and I doubt they’d shed tears over one that they couldn’t play. Most people couldn’t play Crysis, and the general reaction I saw was a shrug and an “oh well.”

Actually, if we did all this, Linux would be the next-gen of Windows. The people that want the money want this, but the OSS guys (us) or if you don’t agree (me), we’re in this for the challenge and fun and the free.
If everybody else did it, we wouldn’t feel special, and we’d feel like Windows users. Everyone in the world uses this now. Where’s the fun in that. Life on the EDGE my friends. Right now, I’m on OSX. :slight_smile:

But still, Linux, OSX, literrally cousins except OSX is commercial and linux is free. Well, c’mon SuSe’s commercial, no one seems to care…

Oh yeah, let me note, Netbooks are the linux spread, I say this because last year, at a public event i went to, I saw someone using this Netbook and i was like, “Hey a netbook”, and then I looked closer, and I realized that It was running Ubuntu! So netbooks with Linux are a good choice for people because they and the company save money, and they’re only paying for the computer. I wonder how they get used to ‘sudo apt-get’ and etc. I wonder if they even know about it.

Me two cents.

VLC = King
WinMediaPlayer = Loser

VLC just plays every existent video format, the swiss army knife of media players, and it’s truly cross platform.

What does WinMedPla do? It runs on Windows alone, the most hated and most used OS, and plays a select amount of media formats, and it’s just all commercial. Again, VLC is a OSS, so yeah.

VLC is nice (I recommend all my Windows-using friends to install it), but I ended up switching to MPlayer due to its lack of VLC’s overbearing GUI. I have found that MPlayer plays everything VLC does (although I haven’t tested broken files), and you can install Windows codecs and it can use those.

For Linux you have to be prepared for that. “Automatic installers” are an arcane art. Apple avoids it by supplying the hardware. Windows avoids it by having OEMs do the installation for you… shoving the “supplying the hardware” task off to the OEMs. With Linux, you’re probably going to be “the one who is installing and configuring the operating system,” and this is probably the only environment in which you actually do that.

And once again… if your purpose is “to work with MP3s,” it only makes sense to buy the computer … and the operating-system to go with it … that enables you to accomplish that task most easily for you. A very small number of people drive cars in order to park in lots, raise the hood and admire the chrome. 99.9% of other people don’t even change the oil. Ever. Both of them “get to where they want to go.”

FIrst I didnt say anything about WinMedPla or whatever that is. I was talking about Winamp.

Second, I do use VLC on daily basis but just for movies and dvds, I wouldnt touch it for my mp3s.