Level and Character Size/Scale Help

Hi, I would like to know :

How Big to make a level (I’m Talking about Scale)

and

How Big to make a Character (I’m Talking about Scale)

I made a Character in one file, and a Level in another file (Only a couple simple buildings on a plane) and I want to place the Character in the level. And I don’t know if im doing it right.

I see the XYZ Graph

When I want to link the level to the Character file, I have to scale the level up Alot and make it alot bigger than the XYZ Graph (And the level is only 3 house shaped cubes on a plane) So if i wanted to make like 7 buildings it would be really Big.

So if i try to link the Character to the Level, I have to scale the Character down Alot, and the Dynamic Sphere of the character has to be really small, Almost as small as the Dynamic Sphere of the Characters Bullets from the original file. (Because the Character Shoots Stuff)

So I looked at Files from Already Made Games, And I couldn’t see the XYZ Graph on their levels (So I thought maby the levels are supposed to be really big) But when a level is that big there is a limit how far you can see ahead in the level and thats not very far.

So When a level is [Scaled Up to your Character] you cant see very far ahead (Which seems like that means it shouldnt be that big)

And

when your Character is [Scaled Down to your Level] the Dynamic Sphere of the Character has to be really small, Almost as small as the Dynamic Sphere of the Characters Bullets from the original file (Which seems like that means it shouldn’t be that small)

So

What is the Avrage Scale to put on a Character?

And

What is the Avrage Scale to put on a Level?

And

Should They Exceed the XYZ Graph?

The best scale for the level is large enough for your character to interact with things and yet have smaller physics objects for him to interact with, yet small enough that the normal gravity setting can have a decent effect of pulling the character down.

I’d say try to use the default cube as a rough guide to character size, for a humanoid character try to imagine one unit as one meter, so he may be 4-6 Blender units high and 2 Blender units wide at the most.

If your level in the file is too big for that then you need to scale it down to fit the character.

Thanks!

I never Thought of it that way, And That Makes Alot of Sense

Now I have a better feel for the Size Contrast Between Life Size and Blender Size

This Helps Alot!

If your character was 4-6 units tall, he’d be 4-6 meters- as the average person is about 1.7 meters tall, that’d mean your character would be about 3-4 people tall. Also, try to avoid sphere bounds for a character unless they’re sphere shaped- cylinder works much better (or pill bounds, but Blender can’t do that)

Wait, duh, I was assuming a meter was a little more than a foot when it’s actually a little more than a yard:eek:, my mistake, but still you have to scale accordingly if you want say, physics objects a bit smaller than the character and not have them glitchy from their small size.

I believe that Bullet physics assumes 1m to be 1 blender unit so 1bu = 1m is a good way to think about things. If you need micro details or large draw distances you can choose a different scale (eg. scale down to 1bu = 1mm or up so 1bu = 100m) and tweak physics settings to get decent results.

The only situations where scale is essential is accuracy and draw distance.

I think I read somewhere that with 1bu = 1m, the accuracy is something like to the nearest 1/3mm (0.33333333mm) which is more than acceptable for most applications. I might be wrong about this.

Camera draw distance is capped at 5000 so is only a problem at 1bu = 1m when your character needs to see further than 5km (a little over 3 miles). If you can achieve decent frame rates with a 5km view distance for a decent looking game then please let me know how you do it. :wink:

Edit:
@Captain Oblivion: I have successfully used pill bounds (I assume you mean a rounded cylinder?) on a character to enable better performance on stairs/ramps by using a “Convex hull” bound shape on a pill shaped collision mesh.

For extreme draw distances, the concept of a 3d skybox is very handy (they use them in HL2, etc) wherein you use a separate scene for distant objects, all scaled down (lets say 1/10 original size) this scene is set to underlay, and the camera should copy the main camera’s rotation, and 1/10th of its movement- this will create the illusion that everything in the skybox scene is 10 times bigger than they actually are. If you want, you can set the skybox camera’s minimum clip to 50, so what you see in the skybox will start right where the main scene is clipped out.

Convex hull takes a lot more processor to run, and it’s polygonal -a proper pill bound would take far too many polygons to copy, and would be volumetric, while convex hulls are hollow. It’s a decent stand-in in a pinch, but it would be nice to have the actual thing.