"Level Design" tutorial

Thanks for the tut OTO. I like reading what you have to say!
Terry

Hello
thank you Nickadimos, very kind!

J09, probably you’ve “Use Blender Materials” enabled?
The tut is to be used without “blender materials”…I’ve to check if its mentioned?!
Bye

Great tutorial OTO!

OTO: yes, I have “Use Blender Materials” enabled. But I can get around this by deleting the materials from the radiosity-baked version of the mesh. Thanks a lot for your help. Its a great tutorial.

Ok, thank you to both!

an easy and simple level tut… good job, i’ve made a little village of my own whit it.
just wondering, a real time lightning for the level exept for the vertex paint, is that possible? i can’t find the sulution.

Hello
well, select all/desired faces and enable “light” in Face Select mode… and add a lamp?! :slight_smile:
Bye

Thanks OTO, your english was great! I esspecially appreciated the radiocity part!

~~Stu

Okay, time to bump this thread :slight_smile:

How do you get such a perfect texture on this mess of triangles?

EDIT:
Okay, forget I asked. Select all faces in Top View. Unwrap > Project from View (bounds). Sacale Y20, X15. Looks nice now :slight_smile:

Oh, and just a reminder for anyone who’s new to this and has as short a memory as I have, lights have to be on the same layer as the mesh to have any effect (Yes, it took me an hour to realise that little faux pa).

EDIT:
But I’ll be darned if I can work out the vertcolor baking in 2.46. A Vertex Colour “thing” does appear after pressing “V” twice but all shadows remain live and disappear completely if I delete the lamps. Although the Mul & Gamma buttons affect the brightness, the shadows aren’t baking.

Attachments

Hello
in the 2.46, Vertex Colors have it’s own menu.
To bake “vertex colors”, go out Edit Mode, press V key, a “Paint” menu will appear in the “header”, select “Set Shaded Vertex Colors”, it’ll be too dark, maybe, play with “gamma”, maybe.
Bye

This is a good one.

The only things I would add would be a skydome/skybox with a sun, and an additional mesh for the balcony on the main building texture. (right now it looks really weird, because you know it’s supposed to be a protruding thing)

Good work OTO.

PS: Yea, some of that stuff changed in 2.46, I’m still looking for the “Collison” button that used to be there when you went into face select mode.

Social, as long as you have an active face and it has a UVmap it’ll be there.

Also press Ctrl. C to bring up the UV option copy menu.

Hey I have a question, how does ambient occlusion baking and radiosity go together? Do you choose one over the other or do you use both at the same time? Or do the real time shadows and shadow baking work with these? Or not?

Thanks for making the tutorial!

THANKS ALOT, Your tutorial would be marked and used, when i proceed in
my flightsim project’s level modelling

To bake “vertex colors”, go out Edit Mode, press V key, a “Paint” menu will appear in the “header”, select “Set Shaded Vertex Colors”, it’ll be too dark, maybe, play with “gamma”, maybe.

Ahh! Nicely hidden :frowning: For anyone else looking for this, “Set Shaded Vertex Colors” appears in the Header of the 3D View in Vertex Paint Mode, not anywhere in the Paint Panels.

I wonder what surprises await when I go to page 5 of the tutorial :slight_smile:

PS: Yea, some of that stuff changed in 2.46, I’m still looking for the “Collison” button that used to be there when you went into face select mode.
If the face has a UV texture, then a “Texture Face” tab appears in Edit Mode > (F9) Editing Context next to Multires and UV Calc. This has most of the buttons you’re probably looking for to do stuff you’re used to doing the old way, including the Collision Button and Light button. It doesn’t have the Copy Draw Mode button though. That has to be applied using Ctrl-C (Active Mode) as far as I can tell (It’s all new to me so it’s all a bit vague).

Wow! Thank you so much!

I love your tutorials and especially this one as I have never quite understood what Radiosity would be useful for :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you! :smiley:

This is a wonderfully comprehensive tutorial OTO, thanks a lot!

Very kind!

Awesome tutorial OTO.

Ive been looking for one like this for a while now. None of the others ive seen deal with Radiosity in enough detail.

Thanks!

thanks !! :slight_smile: