Levers question.......Simple im sure for experts........

Can anybody please tell me how to go about joining these links so that when I move one it moves the other via the pivot point?

A is the start point, B,C & D are pivot points with E as the output.

Any advice or tips???

Attachments

Erm … you are not providing enough information on what is supposed to happen when you pull A, what exactly is supposed to happen tp E ? and is C supposed to be locked in place ? …

If you Pull A in a linear motion right to left, then B will follow in the same direct pivoting the right angle arm about pivot C which Pulls down D and thus moves the rod E downwards in a linear motion.

I hope that makes sense.

Actually the motion you discribe isn’t exactly simple due to the fact that you have the C pivot being still and the linear motion of A and E …

In the example I’ve posted you can “fake” pulling A by using a proxy (Bone) and using the Hinge option (in the Armature panel in Pose Mode) on A and E to get them to move parallel to themselves . You’ll immediately notice that Bone’s root tip does not “stick” to A head … this is because if you try to get it to seem attached (through a parenting relationship or through constraints) you will get cyclic dependencies …

Attachments

lever.blend.blend (140 KB)

Thanks very much for taking the time to anser and provide a blend.

It doesn’t achieve what I was hoping for. Nevermind but thanks anyway.

:slight_smile:

If you have not managed it yet you could try using constraints. For the horizontal rod (pl1) have an empty (floor) at A and another (em1) at B; parent em1 to the pivot piece; add copy location and locked track constraints to pl1 as shown in the fig. (can’t seem to upload a blend file). Do similar for the vertical rod. Add an IPO pydriver to RotZ (in this case) as shown in the second fig.

Attachments