LFO's in Blender, is a good idea.

I would love to see LFO?s in Blender , even as a python script, Do you know what LFO?s are ?

Well a LFO is a Low Frequency Osilator.

An Oscilator is Something that is Going from one place to another back and for over time.
http://emusician.com/tutorials/SqOne_F1.gif
Like this waveforms, but oscilator nowadays are more than a simple monotone sinewave, maybe this is not to useful to character animation but for other musical stuff would be great.

This would be used in the ipo’s

Also some kind of ipo modifiers, to make bouncy fx, or preset types of ipo’s more than just bezier,line or constant.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0d053c7b06f5f092cb17eca0145d8a256g.jpg

i think it’s a good add too. I second that :wink:

Hey, that’d actually be pretty useful! I think that’s a really cool, innovative idea.

How is this different from making a library of pre-drawn IPOs?

Having spent about two months doing animations that used synchronized square waves (actually trapezoidal to be perfectly accurate) as IPOs for better than twenty objects at once, applied to object transforms, lights, and materials, I can say that a function generator that outputs LFO curves would be useful about 1% of the time for most animation, and then only to output the initial waveform. After that the curves are likely to be too custom in both period and amplitude to be set up with fairly simple parameters. And it’s not that hard to create a single-period waveform and then duplicate it in the IPO Editor. This would cover many of the basic LFO waveforms.

A script to generate mathematically perfect curves like pure sine waves or half-circle beats, or to combine different waveforms to produce beat-frequency IPOS might be useful, however, since these things are hard to generate manually with absolute accuracy.

What’s wrong with making the first iteration of these forms, then using the Extrapolation methods (cyclic, extrapolation, cyclic extrapolation) to finish it out? It do this all the time for background character autonomics like breathing, tail wagging, etc.

What would be really usefull is an implementation of the After Effects wiggle() function. This is a smart function that is generally aware of the output it is applied to. So, in After Effects, if I apply wiggle to a color, it will return an RGB. If I apply wiggle to a 3D position it will return a 3D coordinate and so on.

It is basically a random number generator with a range and frequency control.

As harkyman said use extrapolate cyclic and just give the first instance for creating a continues curve.
Harkyman do you know a way of making the extrapolated curve get fixed in time so that you could fade it out easily?