Library override nightmare

i’ve got an admittedly complex scene and its for a client project so i can’t share any files, but i’m running into an issue with an overriden character rig that i need to modify. :frowning:

making any change to the rig file appears to now completely break the override hierarchy in the animation project file. it generates a non-overrideable ‘Character_Rig.001’ object that everything gets rebound to. it makes a mess of everything: drivers, constraints, parenting, the whole 9 yards.

what is really driving me bonkers though, is I have another animation project file that also has the character linked into it, and it is able to handle rig updates just fine. i don’t know how to ‘repair’ whatever is wrong with this other file though.

does anyone have any insights?

:S I didn’t used them much yet, but there is a resync feature that should handle modification when the original change , did you try that ?

Good luck !

its a good thought, and yeah i tried that… it broke even worse :smiling_face_with_tear:

i’ve isolated the issue further to be that once a linked, overridden rig has dependancies in the animation scene (ie objects are being constrained to a hand etc), not even toughing the rig, but simply adding something like a cube to the linked rig collection, every single piece of the heirarchy explodes.

if i simplify the scene and remove anything that has dependancies on the character, the relink works fine. unforunately in my case, its a 2 minute long continuous action shot where the character interacts with literally tons of things in the scene. i’ll just be over here crying now.

so far about the only thing i can see doing now to salvage things is keep one version of the rig in there for all the interactions, and then a duplicate version of the rig that has the updated facial controls i wanted to add. yikes.

1 Like

That’s why i refused to use clunky blender linking system. Not only some settings don’t work (like rigid bodies settings) but also it may bring such horrific issues you have there. I preffer appending complex rigs instead linking…
Sory I can’t help but wanted to share my thoughts.

2 Likes

Damn that’s too bad !!

The override system is very promising but until it’s ironed out I’m really missing the simplicity of proxies. Probably with a bit of more time it will be ok.

But, first that sound a bit weird, these kind of things are pretty standard, My guess is that a bug like this should have been fixed since a long time, are you using a rencent blender version ?

What about deactivating all the constrants ( maybe with a little script) so you remove all dependency and add them back once the new rig is loaded ?

Of course, in case like this you probably need to concentrate on your project rather than submitting a bug report, but this one seems bad, for a better future that would be great to submit it !

Another question, the rig is bone based ? I mean standard blender rig ? one armature only with bone inside ? not a “funky Maya like rig because you used to do that before…” ?

A dangerous option is to bake the action of each props, but then you won’t be able to change them that much

1 Like