License of textures

Hello,
I have purchased a texture bundle for my game, but it does not seem to end there.
I have two questions about those image resources:

1. If the game is open source (but commercial), I suppose those images are not open source as well, right ? So they are closed source. How do I define this ? Just by including a text file with the description (like “Textures adhere to this license”) ?

2. Can I put the textures in a “tex” folder in the game folder ? Meaning that they are easily accessible by the player ? Or are they required to be “hidden” ? Can Blender include the textures in the .blend file ? How ?

Thanks in advance !
Dimitris,
Greece

I’d suggest creating a licence.txt file in the installation that explains all of the licences. It’s not that weird to have multiple resources with different licences, for example: Blenders installation contains a file for its own copyright, a copy of the GPL, and Python’s licence.

indeed, they are NOT open source, the only thing that blender puts under open source is:

• the .blend that has been used to create the .exe
  • any script that imports/uses the bge module (or any section of the bge module like: logic,render,events,etc)

HOWEVER
If the textures you have bought are licensed then that license stay intact and in place, so you need to respect the rules of that license for those textures.

Yes, and you should do so in order to gain a bit performance and keeping the .blend small. Simply add a ‘tex’ folder, put the images you want to use in it, now simply in blender select that folder and select an image to use, when you create an .exe copy that ‘tex’ folder into the same directory as the .exe.

No, it’s all up to you, hidden means harder to find and harder to steal (if they want it they will get it anyway) so it really doesn’t matter.

Yes, but not advisable, the blend will grow large quite fast. But go to file - >external data -> pack all into file. unpacking textures/etc. is the same way… unpack (so keeping them inside your .blend isn’t any saver(a little saver, not everyone knows blender/how to unpack) then putting them in a directory)

As said above, include a license file into the packed game (if you .zip or .rar it). Include the license into the text editor and before you publish your game make sure the license is the one you got open in the text editor(so if someone opens your blend, the first thing they see will be the license). and last put the license file into your .exe directory and in every directory that you want to have that license to protect.

Is this a bit overkill? yes, but you are now protected in any possible way with that license (they can’t say that they didn’t find it, due to you placed it everywhere to be found).

Check the platform where you bought your textures from they might have implied licencing if the pack itself did not come with a license.

If they are selling their textures online they might be ok with distribution.

How do we know that they are not? The licensing on them is not clear yet.

you should read more then that line and the line itself:

Textures with a royalty-free license or a commercial license cannot be used in a BGE game.

The reason is because of the GPL, all exported games must also come with the ability to have the source which means people can take and modify any resource it has.

The only exception is if you use one of those complicated methods to try to work around the license, which varies in effectiveness. If you don’t want to be restricted to textures you create or textures under an open license, then use an engine with something like the MIT or BSD license if you want to stick with FOSS.

The GPL applies to the binary of your game.

When you use the blenderplayer the blenderplayer and it’s content is distributed under GPL.
When you bundle the blenderplayer with a blend file (via export option) everything this binary file contains has to be distributed under GPL.

With GPL you have to provide all sources to enable the enduser to build the binary. The blenderplayer can be downloaded from blender.org while you need to provide anything that you put into the bundle.

Things that are not in the file that is GPL-licenced can be licences as you like (and the you are allowed to distribute this way). I think it is a good idea to add one or more licence notes, informing hte enduser what licence applies where.

Yes, it means there is no build-in support to protect the files from getting copied from your game.

Just curious, what about the contents that can be loaded remotely like if the images are not part of the distribution but downloaded later once the game starts?

–> not included in the binary = does not need to be distributed under GPL.

Btw. it does not matter when you transfer the file (at installation time or later). The GPL covers binaries only.

1 Like

Cool, yeah makes total sense.

If you use a texture folder, then textures are NOT included in the .blend thus not bound by gpl.
same with .blends you create, no GPL attached. Use a launcher, make .exe out of it, the launcher will be GPL, anything else is then up to you to license however you like.

You’re grounded. Read: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WhatCaseIsOutputGPL

This refers to the output of the running game, rather than the files/data delivered with the game.

1 Like

Here another thread you could read about the basics of gpl, i included the source with it:

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my OP question. Phew, yesterday I was close to desperate and ready to begin making everything myself. But now I see there are solutions to everything.

Another followup question is:

I bought the textures from

…and I can not figure out the license they provide for their content. I sent them an email but have not received a response yet. Does anyone happen to know ?

And what qualifies as output of a game, a savefile?
Way I know it is, images you use in a blend file don’t inherit GPL. That’s what I’m getting at.

Yes, as long as this blend file is not inside the GPL- binary.

I guess everything that gets created by the game. Savefiles are created by the game. Screenshots, audio and so on.

Regarding GPL -> when a [edit] executable [/edit] file contains GPL content (regardless how it is created) you have to publish it under GPL (the whole file).

on the bottom of the page are the links to it:

1 Like

Thanks Cotaks, duh I could not find it!
In the meantime I have contacted them and they kindly explained that the images may be used in any game (sold or not) and also be altered, which is essential in my opinion because you will at least need to change brightness-contrast-size and possibly hue and lightness, to fit the specific atmosphere of the game. Some sites offer textures that may not be altered, which in my opinion is useless for game development.

I am happy with BitGem. Where do you get your textures from, if I may ask ?