License of textures

Gimp 2.0 haha, i have issues with anything that has a license attached. So i (need to)/do make my own.

Don’t get me wrong, i don’t care about giving credits, and i will even if not asked for. But if you offer something for free then suck them licenses, it’s free or not free, anything with a license attached is not free!

It’s like my resources, i offer them free, no license attached, but the only thing i want you to follow is not to sell them as a resource. If you can point me to a site with those ‘rules’ then i’m happy to use whatever i can use from there. In the mean time all power to gimp!

Haha, yes I understand you very well,
“anything with a license is not free” = Those are wise words, I will use them too from now on, if you don’t mind.

Unfortunately I can not point you to a really free site like you said, because I have spent the last month actually realizing your wise words = they are not free, not at all. In fact there are many traps, like textures that require not to be modified, for example.

You have very good contribution to this site, good for you. I hope you go well in game making, you deserve it.

well for this you don’t need to worry at all, use the power of blender itself, you can change the color simply by ticking the overlay rgb option or use some nodes to change things. This means that you are not altering the image thus working around the license.

But it’s a big pain in the ass indeed, that’s why i try to make as much as possible on my own, well i do make everything on my own.

Thanks, i do fine indeed, problem is i can’t show you anything, those damn rights haha, but i got paid for it so no big deal. These are mostly small games to be used by workers in their break.

So you restrict the usage. How you tell the user?

Anything with no information is not free too.

Nothing is “free” by its own. Local laws apply. When nothing is stated you can’t assume you can do what you want.

1 Like

Not really, but yes. You can use them however you see fit, only not sell them as a resource itself. And this is only fair because i offer them for free.

I got a line on my resource page.

True, i did not say that you can use anything you like without a license, but you have a lot more freedom without it. If there i a license attached there are strict rules to be followed. A simple line would be enough like i did, just saying not to sell the resource, then you absolutely have the freedom you want, and you don’t have to worry about any license or keep track/documents of all the licenses.

Licenses are full of legal jargon, impenetrable to the average human.

It’s the kind of necessary evil that comes with projects of a larger scale; if I put out ten lines of code then I probably don’t care if you copy and paste them, but if I write a set of libraries you get the idea.

But then there’s the guy who writes a couple of functions and wants to slap a license on it.
That guy can go row on a boat down the rapids.

also, be mindful, last i checked, anything hosted on ba servers are licensed as cc by-nc-sa 3.

The one-line “how to use” is a “licence” as well. It might not be “legally fine” but still expresses the wishes of the copy right holder.

i completely agree with that, it’s indeed a sort of license. But i also need to say, look at the single line or read pages of the license and still you don’t know what you may do or not. Why? due to they write the licenses for professors working at the university, not for people who are actually using/building the resources.

If they just add: you may: use it anyway you see fit but not sell the resource itself as is. Every single person knows exactly what you mean.

And i needed to add the line just because people asked me if they cold sell my stuff. Well no you may not sell my stuff as the resource itself. Use the resource in your game and sell it, is no problem at all.

yes you read that right, people got big balls to ask that lol, go make your own resources if you want to sell something haha.

Yes, there is a license attached to uploaded stuff indeed, I’ve read it somewhere as well.