Light Fixture (Updated)

Hello Everyone,

I tried for a while using Yafray to get the effect I wanted to no avail. I guess what I am looking for is the ability of the reflections/refractions/caustics to light other objects. With so many surfaces in this model it may be impractical. For the updated pic I used Blender internal, and 8 tight spot lights to light the surfaces in a similar way to how they look in real life.

I added a bit more structure to the fixture, and a little color to the walls. I may decide to work on this some more, trying to duplicate the type of shadows the light creates.

Attachments

kinda looks like upsidown jelly at the moment, still cool though, nt sure theres quite enough to really comment on yet keep at it.

Not sure where I’m going with this…I just wanted to try modeling a light fixtue I have, and try to get the light pattern on the ceiling and walls.

I was able to get some of the effect I was looking for using a texture on a dpotlight aimed at the ceiling, but the ceiling is way to dark.

Attachments

oooo :slight_smile: thats lloks much better now, much more glassy and light like, and just looking better all round, that could get pretty damn good.

I think it looks very good. I hope that a tutorial will be coming along soon.

The effect you’re looking for is usually called Photon Mapping. I’m not sure if Blender Internal has it or Yafray, both, neither, or if they use the normal terminology, but knowing the name should help you find the resources to get it done.

Basically, a normal raytracer follows rays from the eye back toward the light, and so a lot of potential paths are missed. Photon mapping starts at the light and illuminates surfaces as the photons bounce around the scene. A second “normal” pass is then made through the scene from the eye’s viewpoint, this time with the knowledge of where all the photons hit.

– Early Ehlinger

You might want to consider radiosity?

This will probably give him much smoother light gradations than what he’s looking for. Radiosity is good for nice, soft shadows and subtle light interaction. Photon mapping is good for caustics, or sudden shifts in light intensity. Typical example is the web-like lighting you get at the bottom of a wavy pool.

– Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.