Light in a glass enclosure

I am trying to make a model with a glass enclosure over a red light, something like you might see on the a robot or on a police car. The end result will be to make the red light shine on and off, but I am having trouble getting the light to shine through the enclosure.

I have a mesh that is glass (materials set for the enclosure to appear like glass) and then have put a hemi light inside the glass and made it a red light. For some reason, when I render the scene the light seems to be trapped inside the glass enclosure.

How can I make the light shine through the glass enclosure mesh and also have a normal light glow to it?

Thanks.

Here’s a .blend I just made with a glass cube with light shining through it.

http://www.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=29921

Hope this is what you were wanting.:smiley:

DwarvenFury

DwarvenFury,

Thanks for the example. Kind of what I was looking for, but I am trying to achieve more of a glowing light that fills up the glass and radiates out. Kind of like a dome light on a wall by an emergency exit door or fire alarm. Appreciate the help though.

Squidcoder

I did this same thing for my coffee maker.

Just create a mesh just like a real light inside of a real glass container. I used red glass for mine, with a chrome backing that had a pattern bumpmap. I put a Blender Lamp in it, and it looks like a real light. Shine an external red spotlight on it to give it an extra glow.

Spin,

Thanks for the reply and info. Not being an expert by an means yet, do you have a quick example that I can see exactly what you mean by using the chrome backing and bum map?

Thanks.

Squidcoder

How’s this?
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/Blender/forum/redlite.jpg
“light parts”

Spin,

Cool picture. I thought I almost had it, but the glass doesn’t look anything like yours. I can make it clear glass pretty easy, but when I make it red it doesn’t look the same as yours. I tried adjusting the Alpha, but still not there. Also, originally had the light inside set as a Lamp and it was causing red light to show all over the objects underneath the light vice flooding out from the light. So, I changed it to an Area light, but now it seems to be ‘trapped’ inisde the glass enclosure material and causing a white hot appearance on the inside of the glass enclosure.

Any ideas? Is it possible to find out what material settings/lamp settings you used?

Thanks.

Squidcoder

PM me your e-mail address, so that I can send you the Blend File.