Light Saber Effects

I’ve had a good time putting together a short light saber battle scene (cliche for an amateur special effect, I know, but I had to give it a shot). In my last post, on cloning, I got some good advice from 3pointEdit about using the VSE to do sound editing. It took a little figuring out, but ultimately it was a real life saver to get my sound effects in the right spots. I’m very happy with the result.

Here’s the clip:

There’s some additional information on my workflow here:

That’s the most irresponsible behaviour I’ve ever seen, letting your kids play with lightsabers. You should be ashamed! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good work, I’ll definitely check that out! How did you match the beam to the handle, manually?

Great job, you must place some off screen clashing effects to sell the battle raging just to screen left! That would be awesome. I see that you did this with a locked of camera, so at the time of the shoot you could have darkened the environment and recorded some interactive lighting. That is splashed some coloured or over exposed light against the walls and doors, then just add mix them in with some matte shapes to control spill.

I must get of the PC and shoot my kids doing something dangerous too.

Yes - the toy blades were out, so I rotoscoped directly around the edges. It was a little tricky when the foreground obscured the blades, or when the movement was quick enough to blur the blade edges. It was laborious too, with so many frames to go through. I can definitely see the advantage to using tracking instead of manual rotoscoping - I assume it could be set up to do a 2D overlay like this, although I’ve only looked at tutorials that do 3D replacement.

Track the tip and hilt as geometry then use the empties to hook vertexes of a mesh. Issue would be blur still. Great job.