Light sensitive atmospheric tests....(.blend file added)

Blend file Here: http://mysite.iptic.com/madcow/Atmosphere.zip (600k)

I have also noticed some peeps having problems with creating planet rings, so this is a .blend I made ages ago but never posted:

http://mysite.iptic.com/madcow/Uvmapped_planetring.blend

Hey again,

Got sick of using Blenders crappy halo’s to simulate planets atmospheres so I devised another way of doing it. The results:

http://mysite.iptic.com/madcow/Atmosphere_test_700.jpg

With this method you can view the planet from any angle, and the atmosphere responds according to the light – Much better than halo’s :wink:

I also made the planetary map myself. I cobbled it together from Nasa photographs…

ok suggestion

make the atmoshpere.

cast shadows from a lamp that is only on that layer.

aslo make it recive shadows

seperate all the things into different layers (e.g different atmosphere layers and the planet .)

give them each an identical light that casts shadows and only works on that layer.

this may give you improved results

Wow, that looks awesome, and im really currious as to what technique you used to do this. I’v only ever used halo’s for atmospheres and have run into lots of difficulties trying to achive a real good effect…

Do you think you could share with us how you did this??? If you do, everyone will think your really cool, and lots of people will want to give you money and women will be knocking down your door and… Well, maybe not, but we’ll defiantly be greatfull for it!!! :wink:

Good work, as always!!! :wink:

Matt

Blend on, and blend well!!!

awesome! how the hell’d you manage that? gimme a tutorial!!

i know how

he used an envmap so that only faces facing away from the camera are showing, and the ones at a direct angle toward the camera are transparent

Hey M@d…

I PMed you…but I post here too…

Great job! Fantastic textures… Would love to see a tute or explaination of how you achieved this… wonderful stuff!

Cujo31

i guess you can do that with a right blend map as well…

Nice!

What’s the trick? Low Alpha, high SpTrs?

Martin

I looks to me like the planet is just sitting inside a glass bubble. Wouldn’t a true atomosphere be somewhat fuzzy? Otherwise, the images are great! Nice textures!

Whaaaaaa??? Why would I be using an evmap? There is nothing to reflect in space… :o – And I also am not sure what your trying to explain…

I really like it :smiley: it’s a very nice planet but…well on the dark side the atmosphere is suppose to look dark as the planet but instead of that ot look bright…you should try to fix that. Also as someone said the atmosphere is not a perfect “bubble” around the planet…you could try to add a cloud texture that only appear the at the extremity so it look a bit diffuse…I don’t think it could work but I don’t have any idea at the moment lol…anyway Good job and keep up bleding!!

(ps you have to teach me how to create a planet texture using photshop and other planet pic you found…maybe a tutorial? I need this!!!)

Thanks for the crits everyone :smiley: I’ll upload a .blend file tommorow – I’m tired now and there are some issues I need to sort out: ie. That bubble effect.

Xwarrior: The cloud thing was a good idea, shame it didn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, the .blend will come tommorow.

muteinvert wrote:
i know how

he used an envmap so that only faces facing away from the camera are showing, and the ones at a direct angle toward the camera are transparent

Whaaaaaa??? Why would I be using an evmap? There is nothing to reflect in space… – And I also am not sure what your trying to explain…

not a envmap as a reflective map, but as a monochrome image thatjust controls the alpha. it has to be a envmap so it stays on the faces facing away from the camera when you move the camera

Very nice.

Could we see a tutorial or monochrome image file?

its already “tomorrow” and no .blend file in sight! %|

I find the atmosphere a bit too ‘hard’ like CurtiS said. It ends abruptly, while I would expect it to blend away into the void.

Nice idea though… wat about the .blend?

Stefano

Why do it that way? Whats wrong with a simple gradient?

BlenderMax: Gimme a break, I’ve only just woken up :stuck_out_tongue:

so i am right with gardient and nor-mapping?! :slight_smile:

[quote=“M@dcow”]

Why do it that way? Whats wrong with a simple gradient?

BlenderMax: Gimme a break, I’ve only just woken up :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

me too, and that just because my homeroom teacher called me at 6:30 am, to tell me that i dont have school today due to the snow!!! :stuck_out_tongue: yessss!!! 8)

Maybe this image taken from Apollo 11 in 1969 will help as a reference. You actually cannot see the Earth’s atmosphere except maybe under special circumstances. The upper atmosphere is too thin to support anything that could reflect light.