Lightening Question

Hey all,

I’m really just a beginner in lightening/blender at all. I was creating a scene and was a bit stuck. I recently saw this entry in the blendergurucompetition

http://www.blenderguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/JoshMaule.png

I was wondering how you create the glow/lightbeam inside the church…

Thanks!

Spotlight with the halo turned on outside the window would work.

This might be a little bit early in the game for you, but it might be a good idea for you to start exploring “render nodes” and the general idea of compositing now. This scene is a really good example of why.

Well, first of all, the entire scene as shown is seriously under-exposed … and the problem might have been “how do I balance the lighting in the church, with the lighting of the scene, with the light in the window, with the halo glow, with the need to get the damm render finished before the end of this century?”

You could do it by breaking these various light sources (and, shall we say, light purposes) down into different components that you deal with separately, and maybe, render separately. It is exactly like the concept of a “mix-down” in multi-track music recording. You don’t have to play an instrument to run a mixer.

Each of the “pieces” might not sound or look like much, but each one is “isolated and clean.” Then, the pieces are combined together – perhaps once, perhaps several times – to make something that your eye immediately accepts as “natural” even though not a single one of the pieces that went into it actually “looked like that.”

Lighting is one of the biggest areas where you’ll find that you can very profitably make use of this approach. (Using the Blender 2.5x product family, of course.) Of this general mind-set… this modus operandi. Difficult lighting situations can be addressed in CG (as is the case on film) one at a time.

Lighting has two competing challenges:

• Getting the light levels (and the range of overall tonal-range) right for each different light source, so that you get a nice “Zones 4, 5, and 6” result (as Ansel Adams would have said).
  • Getting all the various parts of the lighting to “play nicely together” at the same time.

Reality is an unholy beech sometimes. :yes: (You would not buh-lieve how many shenanigans go into producing that “nice, perfectly natural-looking bright summer day double page spread magazine shot.” In the middle of the night. :eek:

But…

“CG is not reality.” :eyebrowlift: Not really. You already know you can have cameras floating in mid-air with the greatest of ease … lights in plain sight that you can’t see … and so on. Well, this is another example of the same thing. You don’t have to do it “all at once.”

Thank you for the ‘enlightening’ reply! There’s just to many things to consider for a beginner right now! Next up for me after the modellingpart is texturing. The impatience of creating something with amazing lightening is just to big I guess :slight_smile: Thanks for the great reply; i’m going to read some stuff about this Zone System!

Thanks!