Lighting a HUGE level

I’ve just layed out the bones of a level I’m doing as a sample to show that I can actually do level design, and its massive.

And well, its abit bland, and so I was thinking I’d do lighting with radiosity, now my question is, where should I position the camera to watch the radiosity being put on? My problem is that there are really dark areas and then really light areas, and they are huge distances away from each other, and the player will be small in a huge room… So, should I have a distant camera to try and watch all the radiosity being put on, or go to a player level to see exactly what it will look like in game, altough this is only a limited area of the entire level and risk other areas looking wrong?

i know radiosity is possible in the game engine because it stores the values as vertex colours but it also increases the number of polygons loooooads. So i would just use a big hemi lamp and the add smaller lamps for better effect. If ive got the wrong idea please correct me, im pants at lighting because i havent used it much on big levels, for my rally game i just made it so that there was one big light thatworked like the sun.

you set the settings in radiosity so it doesn’t add any faces.

Could you tell us exactly how to do that? I’ve never been able to get radiosity without at least doubling the face count.

set MaxEl to a small number, 1 to not subdivide the mesh at all. 8)

cheers
Piran

this is a neet fonction! thanks man…

Yep, you can lower the level of polygons added by Radiosity, theres a great tutorial about it by z3r0_d here: http://www.geocities.com/z3r0_d/bTut01.html

The levels all inside, so I carn’t have a single light as the sun because it will only be visible through windows won’t it? And so I’ve set it up so that corners and stuff aren’t very well lit and big important bits are very well lit so they stick out.

I have (in a particlarly large, though not massive indor & outdoor level) have fond that there is no best postion.

what I ended up going with was looking up under the floor from a good distance.

though I did encounter problems with my limits (paMin, paMax, elMin, elMax) being TOO SMALL. The colors changed as my level got larger and there are some odd things (hallways are yellow in the middle, the lamps are at the ends…) that started happening. Remember that the limits (paMin, paMax, elMin, elMax) are in radioisty calculated world boundbox units, not blender units,

// plugin page
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/YinYangEvilSane/BlenderStuff/walkthroughCastleTextured.html

(I would have posted that self plug sooner, but …)

I’ll finish this post later, phoenix ‘crashed’ (after closing a blender plugin containing window) (annoying winXP ‘encountered a problem and needs to close’ dialogs)

z3r0 d I was just talking about you :slight_smile:

So I should look at it from the bottom, okay, thanks!
Thanks for the tutorials as well!

also look into the face filter and remove doubles buttons

if lim next to remove doubles is not zero when radisity calculation ends (by converging enough, or by you pressing esc) the remove doubles thing will automatically be done. I prefer to have lim set to zero when the calculation ends, and then play with face filter, and remove doubles.

I wonder…
(Tries it)

you can press the add new meshes button as many times as you want, so one for just after radiosity, one after smoothing, one after removing doubles, another after removing more…

now that I think about this doesn’t seem too useful here.

Don’t get rid of your original mesh, you may want to change it later.

oh, and you will have to uvmap after radiosity (painful the increase in triangles can be). It would be easier if you try to automate it as much as possible.

on this fourm I saw (as far as automated uvmapping goes)
as far as I can tell this workes independent of triangle resolution:
it will texture the before radiosity the same as after it, except that you will after radiosity have to assign textures to faces
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10319
(I haven’t used it much though)

and, one more thing
a post-radiosity mesh isn’t suitable for [real-time] light sensitivity (contrary to in rendering). This is because the light color is multiplied by the vertex color, so you mesh will end up being at brightest (ignoring specularity) your radiosity solution.

but an entire light sensitive level can be quite slow, slower than just the radiosity solution. Do you REALLY need dynamic lighting?

You can have light sensitive faces, with the same texure as your mesh, light vertex colors (solid white), and in add mode, but because of zbuffer error this will not look good on all systems. On some it will look fine, others it will look horrible.
(I have that file in gameradiositysamples.zip or something that I link to from my aforementioned game radiosity tutorial)

wow…really impressive radiosity sample…and thank you for the useful tutorial :slight_smile: