LightWave 3D Discovery Edition CD

(Dittohead) #1

get your free LightWave 3D Discovery Edition CD here:

http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html

(The Lurker) #2

“400 points limit, and renders are not so subtly watermarked” I’ve never understood how these 3D companies miss the mark so badly. All they have to do is sell a non commercial, Non stripped full version for the student price to hobbyists with out all the send us proof of what ever and 3D artists like me would jump on it. I was going to send my daughter’s student ID to buy the student version of Lightwave 7.5 guess what now they want proof that she is taking a computer graphics class in order to qualify. She is in the 6th grade what K though 6th grade school has this type of class???

(Dittohead) #3

blender is better and now that its open source, we could make it better than lightwave. :smiley:

(Dittohead) #4

“400 points limit, and renders are not so subtly watermarked” I’ve never understood how these 3D companies miss the mark so badly. All they have to do is sell a non commercial, Non stripped full version for the student price to hobbyists with out all the send us proof of what ever and 3D artists like me would jump on it. I was going to send my daughter’s student ID to buy the student version of Lightwave 7.5 guess what now they want proof that she is taking a computer graphics class in order to qualify. She is in the 6th grade what K though 6th grade school has this type of class???[/quote]

Well then they just sent me a free frisbie :wink: .

(shibbydude) #5

Lightwave is excellent. I would love for Blender’s renderer to rival Lightwave. As far as modeling goes I am comfortable with Blender but I think Lightwave has some better features. But no app can match Blender for speed and versitility.

(mrmunkily) #6

I am considering the student version of XSI. 400$ for a nice system plus mentalray. verrrry tempting.

(shadowman99) #7

I’m no paragon of virtue, but take that somewhere else. I don’t want to see this site become a haven for piracy, and if you care about Blender’s future you don’t want it either.

Personally, I’d rather see Blender grow into it’s full potential. Lightwave would come down in price if Free solutions started to rival it’s quality.

Personally, I’ve used Lighwave and think the best thing going for it is it’s rendering quality. That’s where I hope Open Blender development focuses on improvements.

(PowerMacG4) #8

I got my Lightwave discovery CD. I’m digging LightWave. Blender is hot but seriously it can’t do what Lightwave can on very HighEnd level. If so show me some Blender pics that matches Lightwave. Lightwave have backing of Hollywood and the rest.
I’m buying Lightwave 7.5 to use for my DVD Authoring company, but I can only run it on one machine so the rest of my computers will have Blender 3D running.Top Dogs are Lightwave, Maya and Softimage. Blender do come real close to those. Buts its the photorealistic finish that Lightwave brings. I just sooo wish they stile made it for IRIX. Nice new SGI Octane running lightwave 3D, I’m broke so I got 2 SGI o2 and 1 SGI Indigo2 running Blender.

(Dittohead) #9

maybe sometime in the future (1-3 years) we could make blender just like lightwave in features.

in fact, i know it will.

(SGT Squeaks) #10

Lightwave is known for having an excellent renderer, thats why we use it at work. It also has a sweet modeler, but I think its weakness is in its animation.

(Dittohead) #11

Lightwave is known for having an excellent renderer, thats why we use it at work. It also has a sweet modeler, but I think its weakness is in its animation.[/quote]

blender’s weakness is in it’s renderer.

(SGT Squeaks) #12

ya, I agree.

(mrmunkily) #13

of course, the modeling aspects of blender aren’t exactly up to snuff either.

I’m not going to get into it here, I already have many times.

in my opinion, blender’s very good at animation, though I haven’t done charachter animation myself. And yes, the renderer is quite lacking, and no, I don’t think an exporter (or even ‘good’ integration) will suffice. It’s gotta be totally ‘in there’ with the scanliner. hybridd scanline/raytracing.
mmm.

EDGE manipulation.
mmm.
FACE manipulation
mmm.

(Grimmis) #14

Blender is far more complex than it needs to be, especally when compared to Lightwave 3D, a product noted for ease of use.

(stephen2002) #15

LW 3D’s renders are impressive, which is why I have aquired a copy of it. I have not really sat down and fiddled with it too much, other than to play. I personally find it’s modeler a little bit confusing, but then again I found Blender’s modeler a lot confusing at first :smiley:

I wish Blender would have the rendering capacity of LW 3D built-in, but by the time that happens LW will probably be even better, you know how it goes.

(Haunted-House) #16

Well I think Blender’s interface to be EXTRELY simple.
Lightwave’s interface is pretty quick to learn since almost all the buttons are layed out for you. It’s rendering is very powerful but animating in Lightwave feels awkward.

(Dittohead) #17

that an opinion not a fact.

i believe blender’s interface and features are far less complex than anything coming from newtek, alias|wavefront, or any other medium-end to high end 3d app manufacterer.