Lightworks 11.1.1 Released

Check it out, just announced:

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=56142&Itemid=81

too bad their Linux versions are lagging behind so much, I’ve been holding my breath… I’m a deep blue now:)

Is it still not open source? after so many years of promisses? Even Jashaka was better then ! sigh…

Instead of criticizing, why not look at the overwhelming positives instead? Lightworks is a damn good professional video editor. For free.

And comparing LW to Jashaka?! Jashaka never delivered anything! Have you actually worked with Lightworks?

Lightworks 11.5 Linux beta is now out:)

Im a "professional" cutter and Im working for 7 years now… using avid @ work…I dont understand… and realy try to understand lightworks. Maybe it is like moving from 3dsmax to blender… but with blender Im much more happy ;) . Did realy spend a lot of hours in lightworks but I dont know… not the kind of software… It is horrible to manage footage and formats and cutting is also more trimming then cutting something. And shortcuts… forget it… Maybe another philosophy of cutting… but the node effects in lightworks are kind of cool. Maybe I find the key to lightworks… but no time to learn cryptic things :wink:

I think that Lightworks will never be OpenSource as they had promised. That’s the problem, they had promised to do so and they had done a lot of publicity related to be OpenSource.
Anyway we need a video editor like Lightworks on Linux. If people are happy with Steam and its closed games on Linux, Why not Lightworks?

I have registered in Lightworks for beta testing on Linux. There were so many terms and conditions to accept that I have been afraid and at the end I did not complete the form.

just use kdenlive :smiley:

Better still, Flowblade, more actively developed, faster, more stable and doesn’t need all the KDE bloat.

@anon65932258

I edit professionally as well, my main interest in lightworks is having a cross-platform editor. This way projects can be easily shared, moved, opened anywhere (I’m really spoiled by Blender:) )… this is obviously not the case with any of the current options.

In past versions they had the ability to use keymaps, I remember seeing FCP 7 but couldn’t find it in the latest version. I agree shortcuts are key… not too crazy about the overlapping windows either, it seems like so much wasted space.

Another great aspect is choice, more choice equals less market domination by the other big players, namely Adobe, Apple, and Avid.

Have you looked at Black Magic Designs Resolve as an alternative?

@yellow, Resolve is for color correction, it’s not a video editor:)

Is that your appraisal of release 10, fine, but I’d say Resolve r10’s editing capability is far better than Lightworks and certainly better than Blender.

I’ll have to take another look but I had no idea the latest version had changed that much… I’ll investigate. I’d be pleasantly surprised especially since the free version will do up to HD resolution.

By the way my comment wasn’t intended to offend, it was just a statement.

[edit]

I took a look at Blackmagic’s website and was excited to see there was a linux version. I downloaded and attempted to install but no dice. I went on the forums and did a search, as it turns out it only runs on a custom Cent OS distro and there is no free version. Too bad!

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10757

Lightworks is an NLE with capability of compositing and color correction,
Davinci Resolve Lite/Pro is a color correction software with capability of video editing.
Depend what you do, Resolve is perfect for mounting an advertising spot, less for mounting a film or long documentary.
The points of force of Lightworks are Storyboard, Rooms, media managing, node compositing with cycling, multi-camera live sync, all stuff good infact for film, tv, concert…
The points of force of Resolve are color correction, masking with auto tracking, retiming with optical flow(Lite) and motion blur (Pro) all stuff good for music video clip, spot, artistic and sport video.
I use the both on Windows 8 and Lightworks also on Ubuntu.
The trimming of both software are similar, but I prefer that of Lightworks with multi-track and multi-points selection; IMHO on the editing work with Lightworks you are much faster that Resolve and I can write and compile RT effects directly on LWKS interface in a “simple” way (…the Pixel Shader are not so far from the GLSL of BGE).

Blender VSE have some good stuff but is slow, without a serious project managing, you can use it but with trouble.

Whether or not Lightworks goes open source is still unknown, but they haven’t lied to us up to this point. According to their roadmap, open sourcing is not supposed to happen until all 3 platforms are up and running. They are years behind schedule, but they haven’t deviated from their roadmap. So once all 3 platforms are released and running smoothly, if an open source version still doesn’t materialize, then we can complain. But only a little. :wink:

Lightworks is a damn good professional video editor. For free.
no, if you need it’s titling tool that is (which is very essential).

According to their roadmap, open sourcing is not supposed to happen until all 3 platforms are up and running.
a hahahaha… (for the second time today)

They are years behind schedule
exactly!

The titling tool of Lightworks is really poor effect, no motion blur in animation, no alpha gamma control, you can do all better with Gimp, Inkscape, Blender!!.. and import like image with alpha or a sequence.

IMHO judging a NLE software from the titling tool is a strange thing.
How much time do you spend on the titling in the editing?
If your works are motion graphic Lightworks is not a good choice, is better use something else.

Last thing, the Linux version is a beta and for now is a “free” Pro version (with titling, Red code, Stereoscopic, ect…) that expires every 6 day, just renew it on system setting when you launch Lightworks.

Open source or not open source is this the problem? I like open source but my hardware is not open source, my internet connection is not open source, the electricity for power my computer is not open source.
Come on guys don’t finding excuses, is Lightworks bad only because the developers are in delay on the road map for Linux or Mac version to become an open source?

Lightworks has been around since before Avid. It is a huge job open sourcing a high end NLE. The legal issues let alone the technical issues of porting to Linux would have been pretty huge.
There’s no point complaining about how long it’s taking; they are trying to do it properly.

How much time do you spend on the titling in the editing?
most of the time, not all video editing IS animation, there is documentary, educational …etc

just renew it on system setting when you launch Lightworks.
oh, great now i should have a linux installation for each app!

Lightworks has been around since before Avid. It is a huge job open sourcing a high end NLE. The legal issues let alone the technical issues of porting to Linux would have been pretty huge.
i used avid, which they put almost every functionality in a purchasable blugin, even the filters, and the titling too (which has 2 versions!), and that is why it ended.

and why should it be a huge job, here is blender as soon as the money got collected it went open source.