Lightworks 11.1.1 Released

I spent a year with LW as my main NLE and I can say that for me the actual editing of clips (once you get your head around the fact that the process is modeled after film editing) is done better than any other NLE I’ve used. I went away from it because that’s all that it does well outside of production data management. So I’d say if all you’re truly doing is editing, it is great. If you want to do titles, effects, transitions, color correction, sound mixing, sound fx, you are much better off somewhere else. The tools for these things are a joke.

My $.02

flowblade has some nifty features but it’s still massively behind kdenlive. They need to implement some things before it’s useable for me

Massively behind, really? What features are missing compared to kdenlive in your opinion? Interesting to know?

As an aside, you probably already know both Flowblade and Kdenlive uses Dan Dennedys MLT as the media wrangler which uses ffmpeg, Frei0r, movit etc both apps expose MLTs functions. Just Flowblade uses python for the interface, lightweight and fast. kdenlive uses KDE bloat. Any differences or lacking in Flowblade is just at GUI level.

Development in kdenlive has stalled since June, main dev JBM has stepped away, left with no real devs only some new ones picking it up to learn the code, refactor has stalled too for just as long.

Flowblade dev is daily, take a look at Shotcut too. With its movit intergration. Flowblade will have it in the new year, kdenlive won’t until refactor is complete, that’s a long way off because kdenlive code and structure has become a big mess that makes it difficult to extend hence the refactor, so kdenlive will only have bug fixes for forseeable future.