Lily White Materials

Well I think I saw a post on this somewhere in here but I dont believe a conclusion was reached.

How can I make a basic white material. WEhen I set the COL area to pure white I still get a gray overall render.

You need to play with the EMIT slider. The only way toi get pure white is to turn up the emit slider all the way.

However, as stated in the other thread, there really is no PURE white in real life. It is a shade of white that has other colours mixed in it. Light will affect the tones. So play with all the settings until you get a colour that you want.

BgDM

The best thing you can do to get something to look white has to do with the lighting contitions. If you make the color pure white (which means that it is receiving all of the lighting color), and it looks gray, then you need to increase the energy of the light sources. And if you’ve ever done any kind of pencil drawing or painting, to make an object to look white, the background needs to be dark so you get that contrast.

Turn the REF higher, too.

Excellent point, something that is often overlooked.

By turning ref to the maximum, you won’t have to crank emit too much and therefore will not loose lighting capacities (too much emit would give it practicly a shadeless look).

Martin

if using AO - the amb slide is also a place to look.

Yup, got the Ref cranked…makes sense now that I think about it.

However Im in the Ambient occlusion area and I dont see and AMB slider

Oh yeah, never though of that. I just learned something new :).

CDI3D said:Yup, got the Ref cranked…makes sense now that I think about it.

However Im in the Ambient occlusion area and I dont see and AMB slider

AMB slider is in the shaders panel near the emit slider