Limbs | an open movie in progress |

Hey Blenderartists,

For 4 months or so, I’m working on a short open movie (around 5 minutes long)
and I’m going to work on it for probably more then a year. The title ‘Limbs’ may not be the final one.

Some time ago I posted the main character in the finished project section.

This time I have an expression sheet and some problems to handle.

I’ve already made a main character, and I have a storyboard. My next step is the animatic. I will probably post it here when I’m done so I can get feedback with storytelling.

I had a lot of problems with teeth. I added to them subtle subsurface scattering so they dont look like plastic but still they are looking somehow creepy. (Not especially in this expression sheet because I only rendered frames that look good to me).

Have you had problem with creepy teeth before? And how you handled it?

I also have doubts with using hair dynamics for a long ponytail. There isn’t much control over it and there seem to be no way to rig hair particles. Another problem are the eyelashes, closing eyes makes a mess out of it. Hair particles aren’t a best friends of mine.

Is there any workflow for rigging characters with long hair made with particle system? If no, how to replace particle hair to have a most realistic result?

If you are interested, I upload some stuff connected with this project on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jerzygorskiart/

11 Likes

Nice work, I like the character design. :slightly_smiling_face:
As far as creepy teeth go, I still have trouble with that myself. But often times I think things look better in motion and we the artist overthink how bad or weird something is, simply because we critically view every little detail of our art. I think your characters teeth look fine, I’m sure their are things you could improve, but based on these renders It looks fine. Perhaps the teeth look weird in a different perspective?

Anyway, looks good. I look forward to seeing your finished film. :+1:

1 Like

I realize this is a stylized character, but try making the teeth off-white (slightly warm) instead of white… Maybe that’ll help?

2 Likes

I was sure warmer tones for teeth would make them look more dirty, but I’ve tried and it looks more appealing. Thanks!

Well, it does… if you go overboard. But teeth are never pure white or gray, they always have some warmth to them.

I like the hairs, nice reflects . And also a pretty look . Keep it up!

1 Like

beautiful face,
good expressions,
thanks